• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Overlooked something minor

RespectTheContour

Hard-core CEG'er
well i had posted a while ago about my alternator job...i put it all back together and had to jump start the car everytime...so i figured the cables must be junk...well i put off looking at the car for a while since it took me 6-7 hours to do the alt. job, finally got some motivation yesterday and before i started ripping into anything i took some sand paper to the terminals and battery posts.........car fired right up! i dont know why it took a week for that idea to pop into my head, haha, just thought id share

I'm going to help other's out, because they need to see this when (if?) they search..

_____BEGIN_SEARCH_WORD_HELP________________________________
alternator, charge, charging, batt, light, start, mega, fuse, jump, cables
_____END_WORD_HELP_________________________________________

well i had posted a while ago about my alternator job...i put it all back together and had to jump start the car everytime...so i figured the cables must be junk...well i put off looking at the car for a while since it took me 6-7 hours to do the alt. job, finally got some motivation yesterday and before i started ripping into anything i took some sand paper to the terminals and battery posts.........car fired right up! i dont know why it took a week for that idea to pop into my head, haha, just thought id share

Do the little things first, their always the easiest.... then do the hard things...

that reminds me of when i bought my hearse, the guy told me it needed to be jump started every now and then and he never looked into why, he just drove it like that for a couple of years.
the first gas station i stopped at to fill up, it wouldn't start.
got ready to jump it and noticed the negative cable was loose.
a few quick turns of a wrench and it started everyime.

also, every garage should have some form of this tool:
KTI70220.jpg

What the heck is that?

are you serious?
its used for cleaning out your urethra prior to passing a kidney stone....

its a battery terminal cleaning brush, the exposed end cleans the inside of terminal clamps and the bottom end is used to clean the posts.
duh

ouch!!!!!!

So what does it attach to? Socket? I think I'd use a litle brass bristle brush. Can't get inside the cable end with that though.

Back