• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust Noise, Is this normal?

TrainWreck

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I recently had exhaust work done on my 98' CSVT. I was dumb enough to lend my car to my mother who subsequently bottomed out the car and seperated the manifold and broke the attachment to the cat. My mechanic gave me my car back with replaced exhaust but it now has a very audible leak. His explanation was that the gasket used in the spring fitting between the cat and downpipe is a hard gasket that has to be worked by engine torque into the proper shape, at which point the leak and noise generated will cease. My question is, was the proper gasket used and is this a normal occurance with this fitting? Or is he just lazy and charging me extra for the part he supposedly ordered special from Ford?

I believe gaskets should set as soon as you torque them down. I think the mechanic is blowing smoke, get a 2nd opinion.

Hopefully it is just a gasket issue. Can you specifically locate where the leak is at? With bottoming out hard enought to break that connection I would be a little concerned about damage up near the head.

You can use a 2-3ft piece of heater hose as a "mechanics stethescope" to pinpoint a source. Just jam (gently) one end in your ear and probe the other end around seams in the exhaust system. You will be able to hear an audible "put put put" or "tick tick tick" sound.

Located using White Smoke

Located using White Smoke

After getting the car back I followed the instructions in the maintenance section on cleaing the intake manifold. In doing so I produced white smoke like a few other people and could clearly see the leak at the spring fitting on the catalytic.

Back