• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

parents bought a '99 Ford Contour for my younger brother

adelossa

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I took a drive with my brother after my parents went out just this evening and bought him a car to practice driving with. Its a 1999 Ford Contour with a bit over 100,000 miles on it.

What should I expect for a vehicle with this much mileage?

And is there a place where I can get a manual?

yo....

yo....

My friend has the same thing with about 110k on it. He had to replace the struts as well as the fuel pump. Other than that its a good daily driver!!!

If its a v6, take a look at the engine harness, and tape up any potential shorts you might see. on mine, the worst places seem to be the coil pack wiring and the bottom of the fuse box (I have a wire sheered clean in half there, presumably combination of pinching w/ battery and corrosion)

Ok to make sure it's a 4 banger look to see how many spark plugs/wires it has, also it'll have a black metal (aluminum, whatever) valve cover (as pre98 Zetecs have silver ones and the post98 have black. Also it'll read Ford Zetec right on the top of the valve cover. Plus if he is looking for a manual for his Zetec tell him good luck and if he finds a couple with low miles let me know...that's how hard they are to find.

IF your brother is wanting to fix it up, they make some stuff for them. Check ebay, They always have hop up stuff for the 4 bangers.

I can't believe how many people sell their cars w/out the owners manual. :nonono:
Guilty here. The Contour was my first car, I kept the owners manual and its leather case for (a) sentimental value and (b) just in case I bought another Contour that didn't have one.

I took a drive with my brother after my parents went out just this evening and bought him a car to practice driving with. Its a 1999 Ford Contour with a bit over 100,000 miles on it.

What should I expect for a vehicle with this much mileage?

And is there a place where I can get a manual?

Practice driving with? Like its intended to be a disposable training vehicle?

Try Ford Fleet site, owners manuals download (free). For repair manuals, try E-bay for service CD or books. Debatable if CD is "legal" books are used books...

Last edited:
ohsnap.gif

Back