• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spec stage3 noises

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
well here we go. since i replaced it, when the clutch is cold, the car hums loud when i release the clutch in reverse only. after it is engaged it doesnt make a sound. no biggie. once its warmed up it doesnt do it anymore.

second. the clutch when i let it out in neutral has a little clicking sound yet its not a click its like a hum almost with a clunk every 1/2 second. it doesnt make the sound with the clutch pedal on the floor, or when i drive the car in gear. its just in neutral, at idle, and its pretty quiet. is this normal? im guessing it could be the release bearings and housing, i have been told the spec unit is pretty cheap..... any thoughts? other than that its got about 10k miles on it and i cant make it slip, even with the 100 shot on it :)

oh and do yourself a favor and buy a LSD and good axles. my axles are already clicking and im sure the diff will blow when i launch hard lol

Yeo.. My full face Kevlar moans always in reverse. Even when it's warmed up. I've learned how to minimize it though if I'm on a level surface. If I'm backing up an incline it will moan no matter what. The noise in neutral is gear roll over. Everything sounds normal with the mods you have.

Mine just started to make the same annoying noises when cold, i was worried for a bit but since everyone seems to have similar noises makes me feel better :)

Maybe next year I'll try what Tom suggested if I have to pull the engine for any reason :ponder:

Mine just started to make the same annoying noises when cold, i was worried for a bit but since everyone seems to have similar noises makes me feel better :)

Maybe next year I'll try what Tom suggested if I have to pull the engine for any reason :ponder:

The moans you guys are talking about.... does it help if you match the engine rpms to what it should be for the speed you're moving? Mine moans while engaging if say i engine brake from coasting to 3rd causing the rpms to rise from idle up to 3500 or so. That's when i hear mine moan. If i tap the gas to "match" the rpms with where they're going to be in that gear at that speed it is silent.

Is that what your moan is doing? Or is it something different? I notice it when cold also because your engine is running at more like 1500-2000 rpms and when you let the clutch out it drops 1000.

Yup talking about moaning (atleast in my case)

I get the moan in first gear when I just want to start moving... I rev match downshifts most of the times and didn't experience it on down or up shifts...

It seems the moaning happens when the clutch slips so if you don't rev match or if you slip it any other time it will moan ;)

Yup talking about moaning (atleast in my case)

I get the moan in first gear when I just want to start moving... I rev match downshifts most of the times and didn't experience it on down or up shifts...

It seems the moaning happens when the clutch slips so if you don't rev match or if you slip it any other time it will moan ;)

gotcha! Thanks for the reassurance i was worried... i did the clutch at the same time as many other things so i was unsure where it could be. Rev-matching looks as though it will be the way to go haha

mine only does it in reverse when its cold. the rpm is at 1500 when its cold and drops to 750 when i let out the clutch. it does it until i let off the clutch pedal and then its fine. once it's warm it doesnt usually do it. if i see you around anytime tony i'll take you out and show you what i mean.

Back