• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

just replaced fuel filter, still lacking major power after 4,000 RPM

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
help me, idk wat to do now:shrug:

i just replaced the fuel filter and took the car on some back roads and its still lacking major power after 4000RPM. It just kind of boggs out and boggs down really bad after i shift.

If it is a Duratec 2.5 V6, maybe the IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner control) has a problem. It is vacuum operated on the 1995.

Weak fuel pump

Weak fuel pump

A time proven method to determine if it is a weak fuel pump or partially pluged internal tank filter is to run the tank below 1/4 tank,and then drive with rapid acceleration or accelerate around tight turns. If the pump or intank filter are questionable it will bog down and if you are lucky kill the engine, until you put more fuel in the tank. Ask me how I know this.

Or you could find someone with or rent a fuel pressure gage and determine if you pump is up to spec.

maybe

maybe

The fuel pumps in these cars were not that good to begin with, my 99 crapped out at 80,000 miles.

Did you do the test or are you still in denial?

not in denial exactly, just too busy to do anything. I took me 3 days to find time to replace the fuel filter. Its a pain workin 2 full time jobs.

Do they make better aftermarket fuel pumps????

not in denial exactly, just too busy to do anything. I took me 3 days to find time to replace the fuel filter. Its a pain workin 2 full time jobs.

Do they make better aftermarket fuel pumps????

Just check the fuel pressure, with a meter. It plugs right into your fuel line.

Don't do that drive around crap. Do it right, get a fuel pressure reader.

I thought it was only the later years that had problems with the fuel pump? :confused:

I'm not exactly possitive about later years but I have 191k on my original 95 Mystique fuel pump .....

can you discribe the situation better? you do know there insn't much power up there ....

try this, if you can get the O2 sensor out create some sort of head shield and take it for a drive, if it runs better then you cat is pulled up ...

Check to make sure that your secondary throttle butterflies are opening. The nylon retaining bushing will harden over time, break, and fall out. The linkage is behind and below the throttle body, and connects into the butterfly lever with a nylon bushing(Ford part #F5RZ-9F955-AB). Crank the engine, shine a flashlight on the IMRC linkage, and rev the engine to a little over 4000 rpm. If the IMRC is good, the linkage will move, opening the secondaries. If not, there's your problem.

Back