• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

control head problems...

svtd00d

CEG'er
98csvt 150K, i just changed a 60amper fuse from underneath the hood which got the control head to finally function.

The hi to lo works fine on the first knob, and the heat to cold knob works, but it will only stay on defrost on the center knob (im talking about the control head only remember), no matter what i choose from A/c to panel, to defrost.. it will only work on Defrost.

is this another fuse? i checked all the vaccums, they are fine.. and after $500 bucks, all the a'holes at ford could tell me was that i needed a control head, which doesnt seem to be even close to the problem... they didnt even catch the fuse! shows how lazy they are!!

any help would be nice! thanks!

Last edited:
You're talking about the HVAC being stuck on defrost which is pretty common with these cars. It's operated by vacuum and when it loses vacuum it always goes to defrost.

Try checking this: http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=26

Here was someone with a similar problem:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4163

And if that isn't the problem I would triple check your vacuum lines coming off the intake manifold even though you said you have checked your vacuum connections.

thank you! but is there another problem with mine?...

What im worried about is that in one of the links you sent me, the person states that his A/C still kicks on, and im pretty positive mine does not.

thank you! but is there another problem with mine?...

What im worried about is that in one of the links you sent me, the person states that his A/C still kicks on, and im pretty positive mine does not.

Your AC compressor should kick on when it's on Defrost... otherwise you have other issues. You can usually tell when the AC compressor is engaged as your car idles a bit higher and the high speed fans will come on sooner. If it's not engaging you might want to check that you have adequate freon, the plug on the top of the compressor is firmly plugged in, and that all your wiring looks free of defects.

Back