• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to change a Headlamp?

Pepse

New CEG'er
I fell like an idiot, but I can't seem to be able to remove the high beam headlamp from my '95 Mystique. I've never had a vehicle that makes it hard to replace a bulb. The Haynes book is about as helpful as looking looking at a rock. It's the passenger side and when I reach in and turn the bulb assembly left or right it only moves a little bit, not enough to remove the bulb. Do I have to remove the complete headlamp assembly??

Later. Pepse.

you are an idiot...lol

turn harder...

Have you ever tried changing a bulb on a pre 98? not the most fun thing in the world. On the side with the battary, try taking that out to get more room. The other side is just needing smallish hands. And if you think getting them out is hard, try putting the new ones in.

Omg finally someone asked this...I was always afraid to ask cuz I know the 98+ are freakin easy as a mfer! I've always wanted to get newer bulbs to replace my old crappy ones but I never knew how to get to the bulbs :crazy:

i have never had any problems removing the bulbs from my pre98 :shrug: you guys are just retards ;)

hell i could do it in the dark with one hand tied behind my back. ok maybe not but they really arent that hard. harder than a 98+, yes. harder than an 04 civic, HELL NO. you think there is little room on the contour go look at one of those. the battery is even closer to the core support on the drivers side and i believe the ABS module is in the way on the other.

i have never had any problems removing the bulbs from my pre98 :shrug: you guys are just retards ;)

hell i could do it in the dark with one hand tied behind my back. ok maybe not but they really arent that hard. harder than a 98+, yes. harder than an 04 civic, HELL NO. you think there is little room on the contour go look at one of those. the battery is even closer to the core support on the drivers side and i believe the ABS module is in the way on the other.

You must have carny hands.

REAL men have big meat hook hands. Makes for a hard time replacing bulb. :laugh:

I don't believe I missed my typing error. Oh, well. Anyway I did finally get it changed out. What a joke. I was beginning to think removing the whole hdlght assy would have been easier. Thankfully it was the pssngr side. And like elraido says putting it in is a bigger pain than removing it. Well, zorrex good thing I was crazy enough to ask what used to be a simple fix. Pre-plastic lenses are much easier.

Later. Pepse.

I changed the bulbs for the low beams more than a year ago on my 96 (needed more luminance to pass safety inspection). It wasn't easy as you are "doing it blind" and it was tight as it had not been touched in 10 years. Have not changed the high beams yet.

Back