• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 SVT wont start!

theSCHAFF

Hard-core CEG'er
Well i was out of town for 2 days, and apparently my dad tried getting into my car while it was locked, he ended up breaking the outside passenger-door handle. my problem is (i think) that the PATS system may have engaged, and now the car will not turn over, when i put the key and turn in to auxillery mode, the fuel pump normally cycles, but now it stops after about a 1/2 second. and the car wont even click or TRY to turn over. i read the Owners manual and if this is indeed the problem it says i need a keyed key to start the car. Well wouldn't my key start it then ? it is keyed. right ? i checked all fuses and even put in a fresh battery. i'm dumbfounded at this. i'm hoping somebody here can shine some light on the situation. as i am stranded without transportation and can not afford a rental at the moment! please help, and Thank you in advance! :help:

PATS trouble would be indicated by a rapidly flashing pats light as soon as you turn the key to "ON". NORMAL operation would be to illuminate for 1 second steadily, then go out completely. (when you turn the key to "ON")

Start with the simple things.. ignore your predisposed conclusions or guess about your dad/symptoms involving him.

Work with what you've got.
I know you said a "fresh" battery, but what is "fresh"??
Do your dash lights come on?
Is your PATS light flashing once per second with the key out of the ignition?

Test the battery voltage with a voltmeter set to "volts DC" or "VDC" or the setting with both dashed and solid lines (as opposed to wavy lines, indicating AC voltage). you should have at LEAST 12.0vdc when you measure across the terminals of the battery. If you don't, then:
  • Get a trickle charger/slow charger and charge your battery (disconnect the battery terminals.. don't charge while its on your car) fully.
If it HAS sufficient voltage, then check the starter itself for voltage when the key is turned to "start" (have a friend help with this part) You should have your battery voltage on the small wire at the starter, this is from the starter relay). If you don't have that voltage present, check/replace/test the starter relay itself.

There is a recent thread about starter problems and the eventual problem that was found. I will see if I can find it.

Edit: Here's the thread!

check your battery cables.. remove them and clean them, then ohm them out if you can, as stated in the above post!

Last edited:
yes the pats light flashes rapidly, as in fresh battery i mean brand new, i replaced it just to be sure. ill read the thread you posted and see if i can come up with anything :confused:

The pats light flashes RAPIDLY when you turn the key to "on"???

If so, that is a PATS issue.

You could remove the steering wheel cover (screws on top of the steering wheel) and check the PATS connection at the PATS ring. The PATS ring is "around" the ignition cylinder, its black, and the connection is a green plug that plugs in on the front. Make SURE that is tight/secured, then start looking in to a dealer trip.

If you want to search for PATS issues and possible resolutions, you can (with certainty) narrow your search to PATS and not a starter/battery.

what is it flashing. as in a code. let the pats light flash rapidly for 1 minute. then it will begin to flash a code. when my 98 did this same thing it flashed once, paused, then flashed six times. code 16: pcm not communicating with pats. this needs a reflash. being that its a 98 its a RJL1 pcm and you do have a pats key ring around your ignition. check these connections as previously stated, if they are good, take the car to any certified location that does reprogramming. i tried the dealership but since my had a 3.0L they wouldnt touch it. i took mine to blue oval repair. within a 1/2 hour it should be fixed.

yeah i've checked the pats connections around the ignition, all the fuses, the battery grounds, i cleaned and tightened them i've done everything. i guess im gonna have to have it towed to a dealer for a reflash ?

have you check all of the pats wiring? the 98 have pats external to the pcm so there are some more connections somewhere that later model cars will not have since pats is internal to the pcm after 98

reply to help

reply to help

i find this hope it helps

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]The engine does not start and LED remains off. [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1. Check PATS system fuses 2. If alarm is fitted check if LED functions for alarm: if not check cigar lighter fuse (also used for LED)

3. If not go to main dealer [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Engine does not start: LED flashes rapidly [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Leave ignition on until the LED starts to flash a 2 digit code: (sequence- pause-sequence) Check the following codes: [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Code flashes: [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1:3 [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty. If not go to main dealer [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1:4 [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Partial code only received. Try again. If not okay use different key. If not go to main dealer [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1:5 [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1:6 [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Faulty link between PATS module and EECV Go to main dealer [/FONT]

If the LED illuminates for 4 seconds but the engine does not crank, PATS is working correctly and there is a fault elsewhere. Try starter solenoid or battery. If okay go to main dealer.

i'm sittin out in my car right now, and the PATS light won't stop flashing rappidly to give me any sort of code... the keys in the auxillery position and its just keeps flashing rapidly... :confused:

Auxilliary? Try to retrieve the code from the "ON" position (where the key rests after starting the car) Other than that, I can't recall any other methods of obtaining PATS codes without a special scanner present.

Any updates on your PATS issue?:shrug: Sounds like a very ODD one. Hope you got it figured out. I know that things like this drive me BATTY, knowing I can't do anything to fix them.

Back