• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mustang Project

Big update!

over the last few weekends my father has been getting alot of work done on the mustang. In the last few weeks the bumpers and valances have been put back on the car. Today we got the front parking lights installed, made sure all of the lights worked, connected the reverse light switch and ran the vent line for the rear end.

So now after 30 years this 66 Mustang is now ready to be registared again and driven! :crazy: needless to say my father was very happy with the progress we have made in the last two year. So much so he tried a burnout already ... have to make sure the limited slip rear was working, left a good 5 to 10 ft of strip but there was alot of wheel hop so he had to back out of it :laugh:

So here it is, after 30 years, my father first car, back on the road. I was driving it in the photo of it in motion.

DSC04160.JPG

DSC04158.JPG

DSC04159.JPG

DSC04162.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

Last edited:
WOW, it looks really good 20ft car or not. I have pics from the meet years ago with it still under a cover waiting to be finished, so to see it now blows me away. I love projects, even when they make me swear like a sailor :laugh:. I can't wait to get my stang done, well....

the car looks awesome! And completed on Father's Day :)

yeah and 2 years ago the original engine was brough back to life, rebuilt by my father and myself, on my birthday. so two milestones are two good days :laugh: :cool:

there are some details to still work out but everything that would be needed for the car to be registered is now installed and working. one thing in the future to be changed is the 4.30 gears that are now in the rear end. the heater core needs to be rebuilt or replaced. the radiator will definately need to be repaired again or replaced. my father previously repaired the crack in it but it started leaking as we drive it yesterday. but then again that was the first time it was driven that hard. it will need a clutch at somepoint as its engaging at the top but it works for now. the list might go on but overall its all there.

Considering a 20ft car to you is beautiful up close to anyone else, I say nice job!:cool:

actually up close the paint isn't that good, really. many places are cracking and chipping off. the best paint is the underside of the hood. you really can't see the paint damage in the photos. but don't get me wrong we have cleaned it up some and quick detailed it a few times.

example: the front valance looks really good in photos. but get up close and you can see the cracks in the paint.

actually up close the paint isn't that good, really. many places are cracking and chipping off. the best paint is the underside of the hood. you really can't see the paint damage in the photos. but don't get me wrong we have cleaned it up some and quick detailed it a few times.

example: the front valance looks really good in photos. but get up close and you can see the cracks in the paint.
Ya, that's the way my friend's Olds is. I guess after over 40 years, you can't ask for perfection, eh?

But still, job well done on both parts:cool:

well there is some good and bad news going on with the mustang.

first big news is after the 30+ years and 45 minutes at DMV the Mustang has plates and is road legal.

now we have been having an issue where sometime on the first startup the float in the carb will not shut off the fuel flow. then the carb bowl floods and gas comes pouring out the air vents. Carb was rebuilt by Pony Carb and we have had it apart a few times and haven't noted any issues. Needless to say this is a very concerning and dangerous issue. Luckly it hasn't done it while driving. Yesterday it did this twice. So we got to checking and found out the fuel pressure was ~8.5 psi. well the stock spec is 4 to 6 psi. Dug out the 35 year old AC replacement pump and installed it. Got a fuel pressure of ~6 psi. So we are thinking that the new pump is just to strong for the carb float. So it looks like a fuel pressure regulator will be needed to dial in the fuel pressure.

After all of this was straightened out the Mustang took a trip down to my Grandmothers to be stored. This is also so the 06 Mustang could come home for my Mother to drive when she wants since its her car.

The Mustang made the trip without any issue. It was funny since the rear end has 4.60's in it instead of the stock 2.80s we where cruising at 60~70 mpg down the back roads :laugh:. That is the next item to address.

So we tool a few minutes to take photos of the 66 and th 06 together.

DSC04192.JPG

DSC04196.JPG

DSC04201.JPG

DSC04204.JPG

DSC04208.JPG

Back