• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mustang Project

this weekends progress included getting the exhaust installed, getting the interior buttoned back up after installing the shifter, finishing the clutch linkage, installing the radiator and hoses along with the carb, air cleaner and a few other things. Electrical is about ready to go, just need the alterntor/battery ground and a distrubutor and that is set. On the fuel side we need to finish installing the fuel line byt installing the retaining clips and connecting the hard line to the tank and fuel pump. Other things that will get done this year, install drive shaft and get the parking brake working. Brakes will come most likely over the winter or next year. Again the goal is to get the car running then make it driveable. Next sunday we will be swapping the original front springs back in as well as installing the shocks on all four corners.

DSC03196.JPG

DSC03198.JPG

DSC03199.JPG

DSC03200.JPG

DSC03201.JPG

DSC03202.JPG

Lookin' good! :) Gotta love the simplicity of it -- air, fuel, spark, period. Excellent choice of carburetor with the Autolite 2100. And nothing beats being able to remove and install the oil filter from above. :D

Intake filter looks a little rusty. Time to sand blast.

General question for you all: How does one sand-blast around a decal? e.g. the "289" decal on the lid. I've got a valve cover that needs to be blasted and repainted, but the emissions sticker is present and I'd like to keep it if possible. Thanks,

I guess I'd try a couple of layers of good masking tape like the blue painters tape. Try it on another piece to check how durable it is first though.

yeah I suppose at some point we should repaint the intake filter housing also. Most likely later on as we want to get it running now.

as for the decal I believe we have a decal kit that should have that one so I would look around and see if you can find a reproduction then just clean and paint the whole thing.

on the carburator, it isn't the original one but its one my father had. He sent it to Ponycarburator and they refurbished the whole thing. I'll post those pics when I get home from Erie, Pa later in the week.

you can get those displacement decals easily...as for the emmisions info, that might be a little harder.

well it appears that over the week the driveshaft was installed along with the fuel filter, which had to be modified. Tomorrow we continue forward with finishing plumbing the fuel system, finishing up the battery/alternator ground and filling the car with fluids. My father also pulled out what looks to be about two spare distrubutors and a bag of parts for them. So I don't think that we will be able to fire the car up tomorrow but we are getting pretty close. Also since my grandmothers condo is goign to be sand blasted the 06 can't stay they any more so we have to get the 66 out of the garage and back to the cover-it tomorrow also ...

Hey I was looking at the photos n the last page. Love the one of the fan. I notice a couple of things. Way back in '66 I guess people were smart enough to know not to stick their hands in the moving fan blade. No warning sticker or guard for that matter. Also I'm sure you remembered to put a belt on it. Ha Ha. :)

yeah I made a comment about a fan guard also, didn't exist in 66, people must have been smart enough to not stick there fingers in it. Also there are no headrest or shoulder belts. The 69 has shoulder belts but they are fixed so you can't move in the seat at all.

yes that was the adventure/lesson of the morning. I go to the parts store for a belt and the first one it to long after the guy looked it up. I go back and get the right length but then the belt is to wide. Finally I get the right width and it slightly longer then needed. Turns out that one was to long for my fathers likings also.

So I got the electrical connections finished this morning. I also made the rest of the fuel line connections and re ran some heater hose. this time enough to reach the heater core once it checks out. While I was working on these things on the car so that we could start it my father was working on the distruibutor. He is set on going old skool and rebuilding it as stock. Well he planned to take parts from the many other distributors that he had ... but looks are deceiving. They all look the same but they are not the same. He didn't have any points that would work so we hit a dead end there. Also when I went to fill the radiator it started leaking, so that also stopped us from starting the car up. So since we had to get it out of the garage I was in the car using the clutch to controll the roll out of the garage and we again used the tractor to pull the mustang into the cover it. So next weekend we plan to fire it up in there so that we can move it again. So once it running again the suspension needs to be rebuild and brakes installed. So its getting there.

yeah I made a comment about a fan guard also, didn't exist in 66, people must have been smart enough to not stick there fingers in it. Also there are no headrest or shoulder belts. The 69 has shoulder belts but they are fixed so you can't move in the seat at all.

That reminds me. Don't you just love how in the movies nowadays that they put shoulder belts in the older cars. I think in one of the Bourne movies they show the actors putting on the belts in the Mini Cooper. I'm pretty sure that vintage of the car didn't have shoulder belts.

Just a funny observation.

im pretty sure you could get shoulder belts as an option in earlier than '69, but it actually was fixed to the headliner and you had to swing it down and loop it through the lap belt...

edit: i believe i have a new/like new radiator at my parents house, i could check if you are interested

Last edited:
My '63 wagon had very few safety items.
No seatbelts at all, low-back bench seats (when i say low, i mean below shoulder height), no back up lights, no hazard flashers.

Last edited:
It's Alive!

It's Alive!

It's Alive! we cranked the motor over at 3:51 pm this afternoon. after playing alittle with the timing the enigne was idling great and there where no leaks at all. Motor sounds nice and strong. I also learned this motor has been out of the car since 1975! So after getting the repaired radiator back in and changing all of the fluids we where ready. with the parts I got earlier in the week the distributor was put back together and dropped in. Like I said it runs great. Rev the engine up and it drops right back to a solid idle. Now there is a slight tick which we believe is from cylindar #3 so that needs to be looked into otherwise its great. Without brakes yet we could only move the car about 3" under its own power. Also we has two wires mixed up on the starter solenoid so that wouldn't let the car start from the ignition so we where using a remote start until we looked at the wiring diagram and got it all straightened out.

pretty sure it isn't an exhaust leak as it doesn't sound like one and my father already took the stethoscope and tracked down the sound. No worries it will get checked out before the car is driven later on.

Back