• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CEL Clear Codes?

2000BurgundyContourSVT

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Greetings. I am sure this has been discussed ad-nauseum, unfortunately I have had no luck finding an answer when I have searched threads. Simple question: How do I clear the CEL codes on my 2000 Contour SVT. I got a P0420 code recently. I took the car to AutoZone, they read the code and told me that it couldn't be cleared?? Is this true? Can I clear the code with the OBDII reader at AutoZone or Checker or no? If not, how do I clear it? Before I go thru the process of all the other possibles remedies, I just want to clear the code and see if it comes back.... Smart move? No? If not, why? Thanks!

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency below Limit - Bank No 1.

Bye bye precats.

You can clear the codes with the code reader or pull and reinstall, Fuses 6 and 11. But the code will reappear within a short while. If you have less than 8 yrs/80k miles (7/70 California), take it to the dealer to change the Precatalytic converter or they will reprogram it (under the Federal or California emissions warranty). If you are past the warranty, you can either have (a) new Precatalytic converter(s) installed ($$$$$$$) or install mileliminator(s) on your lower O2 sensor(s).

Mileliminator installation in M&M how to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=760

The guys at the store meant that "they" can't clear it, legally.

Back