• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

havent been around in a while, heres a recap of my new parts

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
hey guys i havent been around in a while so ill recap.

ever since i got the 3L swap my engine was eating oil, and i could never find what it was, no smokey exhaust, no visual drips, so i didnt know what to expect.

later that week i started the car and my roomate observed oil pouring out of the oil filter, some how the flange to the y pipe connecting with the headers had twisted and burned a hole in the filter.... anyways, all i did was disconnect it and then turn the flange, problem fixed.

so yesterday i and Greg Breton spent about 8 hours of work on my car... it was a LONG day!

we started off fixing the side skirts because they were bulging,

then we started to put new brakes on (ebay cross/slotted) only to find that the front rotors are way too big! the bracket didnt fit on but then greg pulled out some old calipers either for a 99 or 00 or for a pre 98 im not sure but they fit on them, but we didnt want to bleed the brakes because everything else was taking so long so the backs are on and ill do the fronts soon.

then Greg replaced my broken front left spring, my bent rear control arm, and a front tie rod.

after that the exhaust project started......

originally i just want to install a cherry bomb and a test pipe but it turned into a major project, it took a while just to get the cherry bomb weld to the right angle then we had to jump on the stock cat to get it off and that broke the weld to the cherry so we had to reweld that.

i didnt get any gaskets with my test pipe so we had to make 2 of them, that took some time.

then in a brief summary, we just screwed the exhaust up and had to reweld/cut and bend pieces like 10 times. half of the exhaust is from a cougar now and theres probably over 10 welds.... but after like 4hrs on the exhaust alone its done and sounds MEAN!!! theres a little bit of rasp because i have no cats but i love the deepness that the cherry bomb gave the exhaust.

whats really weird is that when puttiing the test pipe on the gasket we made broke, and i didnt have another on so i tried to put it on and theres like a 2 inch gap in it, so it leaks a tiny bit. but whats strange is that when it leaks it makes a faint BOV sound, when i let off the gas, its pretty cool actually, 4 people in my apartment complex asked if i turbo'd it.... so its funny.

i drove by a bunch of kids and left of at like 4000rpms and they were like "oh damn that ****s turbo!" so all and all Greg did end up doing a great job on the all the installed parts and did not charge much for labor at all, im definetly taking my car back to him (that is if hes not fed up with it yet, he was so pissed at the exhaust...)

its funny, but anyways i finally got an exhaust and fixed mostly all my problems except one.

when i start off usually turning there is a creaking noise in the front left of the car, i thought it was my busted spring but now with the new spring in it still makes the noise. i know its not the clutch because it happens when i turn while the cars moving. it sounds similar to my buddys almost destroyed rear end on his F150... what could it be?

and i will have some pics of the brakes and exhaust vids soon. i just dont have a working computer at my apartment and im home for the weekend thats why im on here.

dude.. awesome...

why pay for real performance... you could just make an exhaust leak and SOUND cool to a bunch of kids!

on topic, glad you got most of your problems fixed up! enjoy your car!

yeah i had exhaust leaks with my optimized y pipe. it sounded like boost. but it was lame. i got the WR y pipe and now it idles meaner than a mustang and sounds good. cherry bombs are yucky. if you want good sound, run 2.5" with no cats and headers, and one magnaflow muffler. it's loud however. i plan on getting two 2.5" flowmasters in the rear instead of the one magnaflow. hopefully it will still sound throaty but keep the noise down at high rpm.

ive gotta ditch this exhaust soon, it broke in considerable cause ive driven like 200 miles today and its is so defining at low rpms i almost threw up, i have the worst headache of my life now, so this is coming off soon. sounds great but just drones horribly.

the exhaust sounds great but over time it causes a headache! thats what i ment to say. its way to deep. im thinking of adding a 2nd cherry bomb further back, and eventually doing a highflow cat.

Back