• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear shocks?

8000RPM

CEG'er
since two weeks my car feels funny in turns. it seem like my rear end is really wobbling when i go over a whole. what could it be?

i jacked up the car last night, and the only thing i see is that the small rubber stabilizer link on the passanger side is torn...but i don't think this would make the car not handle well.

and the other thing i saw is that the rear shocks are really greese...why? does that mean they are shot?

You may also have broken springs. One of my rear springs fell apart when I changed the struts at about 100k miles. Couldn't really see the problem while on the car but it was clear once everying came out.

These cars are known for breaking coil spring (or so says my mechanic). All four have been replaced on my car as one front and one rear have broken over the years.

well, i spoke with Bill Jenkins. He said that the Motorcraft rear shocks are $36 or $38 per peace. which is really cheap, but if i start changing them, i will most likely change all 4 springs. the question is, should i get eibach (if so, where is the cheapest place to get them from)? I was also told that there was a european kit, from the ST200 i think, that was about the same price, and was a compromise between better handling and only lowering the car with about an inch...but i can't recall reading about these... or maybe they were refering to a BAT kit?? hmm, who knows?

I think that's true on most any car. Lowering springs with stock struts only use a small portion of the struts range making them wear out quicker. You'd be better off with aftermarket struts if you are lowering the car.

I think the BAT kit is the best bang for your buck, get the spring and strut combo.

the thing is that i am not planning on keeping the car for more than a year, and now i don't have that cash to spend on the car. so i was just thinking of spending about a $100 for the rear shocks, my front struts are 2 years old, and just change the springs since they feel really soft. Bill Jenkins said that the stocks will be fine with eibach...but i am sure they will not last as long as they should..however, if i get 1-2 years out of them, i will be happy. can i just get the BAT springs? are they better the eibach? cheaper?

ok. well here i need an opinion. for a 98 svt, i just bought eibach springs...and i will be getting new struts for the rear only...so, should i go with Bill Jenkin's OEM struts or KYB Strut GR2???.. considering that the price is almost the same. and i believe that both of these are gas filled.

Back