• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Two words!

D13

CEG'er
Ford sucks!

Now for the question. How the heck do you use that stupid tab in the drum brakes?

I have a 98 SE. Have found the guide at AutoZone that shows the tab in the drum to release the shoes. Have done everything I can think of to move it, but no go.

What is the trick?

(At least Chrysler and Chevy are smart enough to use a simple bolt...)

[rolls eyes]

Ford sucks!

Now for the question. How the heck do you use that stupid tab in the drum brakes?

I have a 98 SE. Have found the guide at AutoZone that shows the tab in the drum to release the shoes. Have done everything I can think of to move it, but no go.

What is the trick?

[rolls eyes]

Post a picture of the open drum, I did mine in my se, and it took some power to get the springs off, but i managed to do it... had no problems with a tab?!

Trying to get the drum off. The how to shows the grommet to remove from the back plate and then a "tab" inside the slot to release the tension on the shoes.

Can't release the tension. Looking to learn how to release the drum.

Update:

Found there are two grommets on the back plate.

Round circle near the top and slot at around 8 o'clock from the back side.

Found the release in the small circle near top. It works as advertised, but the drum is still stuck...

i got mine off by getting under the car and using a rubber mallet and a big flat head screw driver as a chisel. i put the screw driver up to the back side of the drum, where that lips is at the back plate. Then i pounded away at the back of the drum pushing it forward then turning it till it finally came off.

does that explanation make sense?

LOL!

Yeah, but that is the explination I am trying to avoid.

I'm so glad I have rotors front and rear...

Whenever any of my trucks drum brakes need work, I take it to a shop. I just can't ever get them right it seems...

i got mine off by getting under the car and using a rubber mallet and a big flat head screw driver as a chisel. i put the screw driver up to the back side of the drum, where that lips is at the back plate. Then i pounded away at the back of the drum pushing it forward then turning it till it finally came off.

does that explanation make sense?

Dead blow FTW! Also we would of accepted BFH as well...

OK, upper release plus BFH did the job. :)

Now, about that lower spring...

FYI, the lower slot is just a pad check window. All that ramming and jamming just screwed up the front pad. lol

Ford sucks!

What is the trick?

[rolls eyes]

Tell us please just how much help you expect to get with an opening like that?

OK, upper release plus BFH did the job. :)

Now, about that lower spring...

FYI, the lower slot is just a pad check window. All that ramming and jamming just screwed up the front pad. lol

Drum brakes are so easy to replace. Its really about using tricks when working on drum brakes, and let me tell you the drum brake replacement tool is a MUST for replacing those pads. Basically its a giant screwdriver with a lip on the edge for holding the springs and stretching them to their hooking point.

Don't forget to put brake grease on the contact points on the backing plate, and just a heads up, Ford isn't the only company now-a-days that does ridiculous drum brake designs, most newer cars are like that, ive done drums on old cavaliers, celebrities, and they are walks in the park compared to drum brakes are virtually any newer car. (mid 90's and up).

...This is why I did a rear disc conversion on my car.

Also I highly suggest you rethink the way you introduce your car problem... "Lets go on a car enthusiast site, bash on their cars, then ask for help. I bet I will get a lot of positive responses"

Please refrain from jamming your head up your ass before getting on the internet, it makes life easier for all of us.

Last edited:
A little never seize compund on the lug hub face will prevent the drum from sticking on. I hate drums, you ought to see the ones on my Dodge:crazy: :shocked: The Ford ones are a great design by comparison.

Back