• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brake dust coming through the intake

97vulcan

CEG'er
I just changed my air filter to a K&N and noticed alot of black fine dust inside the filter, and on the conical shaped plastic thing that holds the filter. Could this be brake dust? Do SVT's have a problem where the intake sucks up brake dust from the driver's wheel?? :shrug:

Thanks,
Adam

its road debris. fine silt in the air gets *gasp* caught in the filter.. like its supposed to.

The fact that your air filter is now black and has fine dust in it means nothing more than your filter worked, and it was time to replace/clean it.

Check out your belts. Sometimes they start wearing funny and you get really fine rubber in there. You should also see it on the hood where it slings off the belt.

I just purchased the car in May, and changed out the filter with a K&N today. The black soot like dust was on the inside of the conical tube that holds the filter. :) The car breathes better now!

Adam

well I'm sure that it was never cleaned. as far as a belt doing that and it ending up in your stock intake is not gunna happen. wrong fender

you can get plates to block brake dust. Plus its probably just sand and dirt caught up there after a while it probably turns real dark from moisture and time.

Back