• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is it wise to buy a 2nd hand 3L Contour?

maddog440

CEG'er
I'm thinking about buying a used 3L Contour SVT. I do not believe the current owner did the swap. While I am fairly familiar with contours, (I own '95 and '96 SE's) I am not terribly familiar with everything that goes into the swap, so I am a little concerned about troubleshooting possible future problems and buying the right parts if something breaks.

Also, what kind of performance gains is there from the swap? How big of a hp increase and quarter mile times could one expect? I understand that these may be relatively general anwers, as I do not know the specifics of the swap in question.

U might need to do a little bit of research bro. Hp gains differ depending on the type of swap. So first find out wot kind of swap was done. Do not purchase this vehicle without knowing exactly wot was done to it. Those r future headaches waiting to happen. The least amt of whp u should get regardless of swap kind i believe is in the 180s range.

Being that your in MN - I'm guessing that the posibility that Chris and Dan from http://www.3lduratec.com com did the swap - as they have done quite a few of them. I'm running one of their swapped cars - I wouldn't worry about the quality of the work - I'd worry about what the PO did to it.

3.0L Swap

3.0L Swap

I'm new to this site. The PO of my SVT directed me to here to try and sell my 3.0L. My 2.5L threw a rod on the track and I didn't want to do the same thing as before. We found the engine from a 3.0L escape at a junk yard with 1,000 miles on it. The swap took time and a lot of reading!

After the swap I find that a bigger fuel pump is needed. The second factory pump is now screwing up. Some computer upgrades are important too.

I love the gains I got from it. The torque is pretty nasty. The PO of this one lined up with me in a moded WRX and we were side by side up to 125 and slowed down.

Now I can't keep it up, (especially if I want to stay married)! It does need a pump and and some little things like brakes. It's not as pretty as it used to be, but for the right person it can be nasty on the road or the course.

I can't post to the classifieds yet, so if any of you know someone who's looking send them my way!

thomas.sloan@us.army.mil email me for pics

Attachments

• 5 x 7 in. cutout pr.pdf
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
There is no way he is outflowing the fuel pump on his moderate N/A 3L build. Heck, I don't even outflow mine at 7psi of boost on my 3L.

And tommy boy dude, there is a reason you can't post in the classifieds; so obey the rules like everyone else.

There is no way he is outflowing the fuel pump on his moderate N/A 3L build. Heck, I don't even outflow mine at 7psi of boost on my 3L.

And tommy boy dude, there is a reason you can't post in the classifieds; so obey the rules like everyone else.

i have more fuel going to my motor than i know what to do with haha, people have pushed a helluva lot of power before doing a big fuel pump upgrade.

Back