• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Newbie with many questions

Teal4Banger

CEG'er
I bought a 96 Contour GL/Sport (Zetec, ATX) a few months ago and recently decided that I want to modify it. It is my daily driver so I'm looking to go to extreme. Here are my possible mods:

1) CAI

-I purchased a Focus CAI off of ebay and am hoping it will fit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=320139470914&rd=1

2) Chip

-I'm looking to get either a SuperChip, Jet Smart Chip, or a Diablo Sport Chip. Right now I'm leaning towards the Diablo. I'm hoping to get more HP and Torque (duh) , but also improve my ATX's performance.

3) Header

-There are a few Pacesetter headers on ebay for Focus' which I'm hoping will fit, here is one I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

4) Open the Exhaust

-If I get a header, I want to get a custom exhaust with a 2.5" pipe, a single high flow cat, after the cat I want it to branch off to two stock mufflers. The reason for this is that I want to increase the throughput while keeping the stock volume.

5) Camshaft

-Zex has Focus cams which I'm hoping I can get to work. I think I read another post that stated focus cams will work on a contour with some minor modifications. The model I'm looking at is 108100:
http://www.zex.com/

6) Underdrive Pulley

-I may get an underdrive pulley depending on the feedback that I get regarding some concerns about engine damage which I posted here:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=14546&page=2

QUESTIONS:

1) Will the Focus intake I ordered work? Has anyone else used one of these? What modifications had to be done?

2) Which performance chips workst the best for an ATX zetec contour? Is anyone using any of these? How are they performing?

3) Will the header I'm looking at work? What headers are available for a zetec contour (pre 98)?

4) Any thoughts on how to increase performance and still keep the exhaust quite? Will my idea work?

5) I recall reading a post that said a Focus cam will work on a contour with some minor work? Will the one I'm looking at work? What kind of modifications will I have to make to get it to work?

6) Who is using an underdrive pulley? Has anyone had any problems with one? Has anyone else heard that they can damage your engine (follow the above link to my previous posting to read the article)?

Are there any other mods I should do? Does anyone know what kind of results I could expect from these mods? Are any of these mods not worth the time/money?

Thanks.

correction to my second sentance above....

This car is my daily driver so I'm NOT looking to go to the extreme.

1: the focus intake should work but it may need some minor modifications.

2: idk, i have an MTX with a custom tune file for my turbo :D

3: NO. the focus header will not work as the exhaust is routed differently on the focus. it passes under the engine in the middle while ours passes under the engine on the passenger side.

4: i dont think your idea will work but there is no harm in trying. In my experiance you cant get more performance out of an exhaust without it being louder.

5: IDK, i am still running stock cams as they are actually a fairly good profile for performance. the restriction is in the intake manifold and the head.

6: see my post in the other thread that you linked to.

HTH.

thanks, that's great info. Based on your reply to my other post (udp), I'm going to get one. I'm also going to pass on the header. Thanks.

I have had both, Superchips and Diablo, chips...I liked the Diablo better.:shrug:

ANY exhaust you do with a header is going to be loud. Sad but true.:blackeye:

Cams won't give you much gains without proper headwork.

It seems to be a hit or miss with the chips. It depends on your PCM code. Call up both companies and ask if they hav ea tune available for your code and what all they have included with the tune.

Hector's right, any free flow exhaust (even without replacing the header) will be loud. A good quality muffler, cat, and silencer will help to keep the noise level reasonable and give the exhaust a nice tone. You can wrap the exhaust in heat wrap as well for a little more noise reduction.

UDP's were discussed in the other thread.

The head & intake manifold will only flow enough to support ~170HP, which is more power than bolt-ons will give you. If you plan on going all out on mods, you will need head work and a custom intake manifold or make an aftermarket Focus part fit. No Zetec owner on CEG has ever got to that point.

Pre98 Zetecs use hydraulics lifters, which means if you want to use Focus cams, you will need to swap a Focus head onto your block. There are cams for pre98 Zetecs but they're hard to find and more expensive.

An oil cooler is a must if you are going to seriosuly doing modding. An ATX cooler is a must in general.

by the way the Focus Intake ... I recently bought one on ebay for around $30 then I went to Autozone to get a Spectre Intake Tube ($8) then Home Depot for Sheilded Coupler ($7). Total was about $50 but it was worth it.

The head & intake manifold will only flow enough to support ~170HP...

...No Zetec owner on CEG has ever got to that point.

I call BS.:crazy: im running stock head, cams, intake manifold, and throttle body. i put down 200WHP on a mustang dyno.

Turbo FTMFW:laugh:

i made my own intake. It's all from vibrant but it was a silicone 90, a 3to 2.75" reducer, a filter and a straight piece of polished pipe. hour to build

Back