• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another pats question

buttersSVT

CEG'er
today i took the svt out for a drive, when i noticed out of nowhere the pats light was coming on constantly for 2 - 3 seconds, and when it did so the car would buck and sputter.....it happens randomly......when it happens the cel doesnt come on but the battery light flickers and the tach needle flickers, as does the rpm's....now the battery has been dead for about a week now, and it goes about a week between charges...could it be as simple as a new battery? if so would the pats light come on? any and all help will be much appreciated

.....when it happens the cel doesnt come on but the battery light flickers and the tach needle flickers, as does the rpm's....now the battery has been dead for about a week now, and it goes about a week between charges...could it be as simple as a new battery? if so would the pats light come on? any and all help will be much appreciated
Yes and yes.

unplug your TPS the next time it starts "sputtering" like that, see if it stops.

check your battery connections (don't just wiggle them... remove and inspect them) and your PCM connection (passenger side firewall)

search for a post of mine in troubleshooting for the same symptoms.
EDIT: a couple of finds:

VSS failure

Vref

Last edited:
Back