• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rad fan replacement

klfdl

New CEG'er
1998 Contour, 2.5L, Duratec
I think my fan assembly needs to be replaced. After my waterpump went, my Temp sendor needed replacing and my highspeed fans were running constantly for a while but no longer. I have replaced the Cooling Fan switch/resistor and the 60A fuse. The fans will come on for a minute or so and blow my fuse again. Does this sound like the problem is the fan's motor? If so, does the entire assembly need to be replaced and are there any instructions on this forum. I have not been able to locate any thru my searches.
thanks for any assistance
kL

Could be motor but more likely a wiring problem. I suggest you check the wiring carefully to see if the copper wiring is exposed.

See if the motors are stiff to turn by hand, if so, get a new fan assembly. They won't spin free, but shouldn't be dragging.

My car had the same symptoms a couple years ago. The fuse blew, so I took it to the dealer to change the fuse. Drove the car about 1 mile down the road and the fuse blew again. Took my car back to the dealer and the ended up replacing the fan(s) and charging me for yet another fuse:mad:

thanks for the replies. did look for exposed wires but they all looked fine. i guess i'm removing the fans then. i guess you pull them out from under but first the rad needs to be removed?

thanks for the replies. did look for exposed wires but they all looked fine. i guess i'm removing the fans then. i guess you pull them out from under but first the rad needs to be removed?

I think it is... if not it is much easier with the radiator out.

well the fans bolt to the radiator and when I changed the radiator on my 95 we left the fans in the car and dropped the radiator .... so there should be a chance you can get the fans out without removing the radiator

but if you haven't done a coolant flush in awhile sounds like a good time/reason to do it :laugh:

i'm not sure how you could remove the fans without taking the rad out. the fan mount is bolted to the rad on the bottom. and the transmission lines have to come out too.

I have no coolant lines on my rad. but usually you can get at the fittings with the radiator in place.

You can get the fans out without dropiing the radiator.

First remove the two nuts that hold the fan to the radiator, and disconnect all wiring that attaches to the radiator.

Use a large fender washer or even a regular washer that fits over the post. Put one over each locating post that pokes through the radiator support, at the top. Now insert a bolt that fits as tight as possible into the holes in the posts, then use locking pliers on the plastic locating posts.

The large washer on top of the rubber isolating bushing with the locking pliers tightened just above the washer, will keep the radiator from falling out of the upper support when the lower brackets are removed. The bolt in the hollow of the post will keep the pliers from crushing/ breaking the plastic pins. You do not have to tighten the locking pliers too tight.

I tapped out my posts so I could thread in a bolt but the steps above might be easier. "Edit" If you have an M8 or M10 don't remember what I used or a 3/8-16 tap it is actually easier, since you might not have two pair of locking pliers/Vice-Grips.

Now remove the brackets at the bottom of the radiator. With the set-up above, the radiator now has enough room to pivot out of the way and you can remove the fans without removing the radiator.

Last edited:
Far easier to put a small nail through the holes in the plastic posts to keep the radiator from falling. Dont need washers, bolts or vice grips

Back