• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No Start

Someone remind me how the grounds on the starter work. I grounded the back of the starter with my jumper cables and the car started right up. But I can't exactly be riding around with jumper cables grounding my car all the time.

Then you have a faulty ground, (OR insufficient current in your battery) between your battery and your starter.

trace the ground wire from your starter to the chassis where it ties in (or is it straight to the battery negative terminal? I can't remember) and inspect the connections on either end. ultimately, you could get an ohmeter and ohm from the starter end to the negative terminals end of the wire (so that you are testing the wiring only) and you should see little to no resistance.

Good call Ray, I was reading 21 ohms of resistance between the main battery ground and the battery. I quick cleaning of the end of the ground wire brought the resistance down to 0.1 ohms. She starts up and runs fine now. Thanks for the help everyone, this is why I love CEG.

Where ELSE can you get 9 or 10 thousand mechanics who've all got different experiences with the same problem, for free?

enjoy your newfound "normal" operation.. :) :D

For the record, anyone who came across this thread searching for answers to .." dead starter" "starter problems" "car won't start," definitely look long and hard at your battery ground cable as noted above. This info solved my problems as well.

wow ... old post, he doesn't even own the car anymore .... and it does infact have a timing issue ....

Back