• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior lights won't turn off

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
My car underwent an extensive cleaning yesterday and last night the interior lights wouldn't shut off, as if there was a door open. I check all four door sensors and the trunk and they all seem to work fine, but the dome light and the passenger underdash light won't shut off. I turned the dome light off of "12 sec" and pulled the bulb under the dash but I want to get it fixed. Any ideas?

did you check your Night Light Dim switch? make sure is not all the way to the left. if it all the way to the left... roll the to the right until you feel/hear a click.
dsfasfsfsafdsafsdafsadfdasfsafsafsa.jpg

Yeah, 99-00 dimmer switches also turned on interior lights. If you cleaned around the knob and moved it to the point where it clicks, that will turn on the dome lights.

99% chance your "oreo" switch (to the right of the steering wheel) is "clicked" on. un click it

Otherwise... search for the test/diagnostic procedure for the "central timer unit" or "CTU".

My 95 has the "oreo" switch, but it doesn't click on. The overhead light has an "ON" position on the switch (along with the 12 second and off) and the two swiveling map lights on the overhead console each have their own switch so I guess it's not needed.

Really wish I had a dome light in the back though. It's always dark back there at night...

Back