• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Winter\Snow Tires

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
Need some opinions. Want to pick up an extra set of tires and rims for winter (in Chicago area), but not sure where I can get replacement rims that will bolt on with no drilling (want something fairly cheap) that look close to my E1 SVT's. Also, need them wrapped with a good snow tire. I thought I had seen a thread on this already, but can't find it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Need some opinions. Want to pick up an extra set of tires and rims for winter (in Chicago area), but not sure where I can get replacement rims that will bolt on with no drilling (want something fairly cheap) that look close to my E1 SVT's. Also, need them wrapped with a good snow tire. I thought I had seen a thread on this already, but can't find it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Junkyard? Your best off just getting some steelies.

Since you'll be primarily driving your SVT in the Metro Chicago area and not out in some snowbelt area, I'd recommend a "performance" winter tire, something like Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25, Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 or similar. You'll give up a bit of deep-snow traction, but most of your driving will likely be in slush, ice, wet or dry conditions. You'll pay a bit more for tires like this, but get to retain most of the handling goodness of your summer tires.

i run blizzak's as well, they've gotten me through a lot crappy weather but are pretty smooth on dry roads as well, pick up a spare set of E1's if you like your other set, they can be found for fairly cheap

Just as everyone else has said, Blizzak's. Best rated snow tire, only way to go. I plan to get a set for my stock rims this winter as well.

Thank you all!!! I do believe I am going with the Blizzaks, they seem to be mentioned the most! Working on acquiring a second set of E1 wheels..

This is going to be the dumbest question ever... But here it goes. I'm looking at the 16x7 Kazera KZ-U Silver Painted with Blizzak Lm-25s mounted through tirerack.com, now, since I'm not a tire\wheel expert and have never purchased after market wheels before, will a 16x7 give me any problems with rubbing etc?? I know, sorry to waste peoples time answering this, but I've only had the SVT about 2 months and don't want to mess something up this winter because I didn't have the correct size wheel on it.

Also, has anyone used tirerack.com before and if so, how was your experience?

Haven't gone through Tire Rack myself, but have not heard any bad stories about them. The extra you pay for shipping may offset some of the savings you might get from them.

I still say forget about the fancy rims and just go for steelies for the winter.

The Kazera's in that size with the LM-25's should be perfect. You should probably go with 205/55-16's....common wisdom says to go with a narrower tire for winter.

Last edited:
The Kazera's in that size with the LM-25's should be perfect. You should probably go with 205/55-16's....common wisdom says to go with a narrower tire for winter.

I didn't actually, well was going to, but then I found some E1's on ebay. I should those Wednesday, and my plan is to take the best of both E1 sets and use for summer, and obvisouly the worse ones for winter!

I still plan on purchasing the 205/55-16 LM-25's, just without wheels now.

Again, thank you to everyone who posted a reply, all answers and opinions were considered and researched!

Also, has anyone used tirerack.com before and if so, how was your experience?
Good. It is still cheaper than the stores after adding shipping and installation. The good thing is you can send the tires to your house or to the installation store. And the installation price is guaranteed. I would use them again.

:laugh: I just picked up a set of black steel take-off rims for $45 each and a DEAL on a set of studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 tires for $200. They have lots of siping and a very unique directional tread pattern. One of the best tires for Alaskan road conditions. I LOVE Craigslist!!

Back