• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Code 332 is driving me crazy!

twocontours

CEG'er
95 contour 2.5L with check engine light on. Stored code is 332. KOER test shows 332. Suck on EGR and engine stumbles. Vac gauge on EGR control hose shows 6" vacuum during KOEO test cycle. Cleaned EGR valve and passages, Replaced EGR position sensor (DPFE) but it didn't fix it. Disconnect DPFE connector and run KOEO test and get 337 so the wiring checks out good.

I give up, what should I do next.

Last edited:
Are you aware that you must goose the throttle during the KOER test?

If you get it during normal operation consider replacing the EVR solenoid.

I thought measuring the vacuum during the KOER test eliminated the solenoid. I didn't goose the throttle during the test but I didn't think that was part of the EGR test. When do you do it in the cycle?

Got your PM-

Have you actually verified EGR diaphram operation? i.e. is the valve actually opening under vacuum applied directly to it? Take a vacuum brake bleeder, or barring that, suck on the end of a piece of vacuum hose and see if the diaphram actually moves and opens the passage.

Hi dan,

I tested it on the car, sucked on the hose, engine stumbled. Took it off the car, cleaned it, sucked on the hose watched the rod go up and down. Swapped EGR valves tonight with the 96 and still get the light. Just pulled codes after the test. Haven't looked them up yet but they are:

KOER 332, 411, 538, 543, 653

KOEO 176, 332

Last edited:
Still getting code 332 as a KOER and as a stored code. Checked the DPFE sensor output ~.5 volt normal, about 4 volts when I suck on the reference port. EGR Vacuum reading goes to about 4" for about 3 sec during KOER diagnostic sequence. If I disconnect the rubber hoses going to the DPFE and start the car I can feel exhaust coming out both hoses. EGR swapped with other car, still same problem. Diagnostic test with DPFE sensor connector removed gives 337 so wiring should be good. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever had a manifold to egr tube fail (not clogged).

Still getting code 332 as a KOER and as a stored code. Checked the DPFE sensor output ~.5 volt normal, about 4 volts when I suck on the reference port. EGR Vacuum reading goes to about 4" for about 3 sec during KOER diagnostic sequence. If I disconnect the rubber hoses going to the DPFE and start the car I can feel exhaust coming out both hoses. EGR swapped with other car, still same problem. Diagnostic test with DPFE sensor connector removed gives 337 so wiring should be good. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever had a manifold to egr tube fail (not clogged).

Yes, the EGR tube can both clog, and rust through.
This will give consistant high or low readings.
4 to 4.5 volts is a good full open reading so that actually looks fine.
I think either the EGR valve is sticking or the EVR is inconsistent.
You will have to reset the codes to see if cleaning or swapping the EGR valve worked.

Since the original does not seem to exist any more, pleas refer to the attached document.

Attachments

• Tt4q98.zip
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the reference.

I know the tube isn't clogged as I started the car with the tube disconnected and got exhaust gas flowing out. I also got flow through the rubber hoses. The only thing I can think of is the restricter in the tube is dislodged or something but that seems really unlikely.

The only thing I can think of is the restricter in the tube is dislodged or something but that seems really unlikely.

An oversized orifice would give low diferential readings at all flows.
You seem to have a intermittant problem.

Does anybody have access to the following TSB's. I think my PCM is toast but I'd like to read the TSB's before I replace it.

Thanks

1995 FORD CONTOUR: 95195 46464 19950901 063130 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL:GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE (EGR VALVE)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1995 FORD CONTOUR: 15390 630408 20011101 063130 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL:GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE (EGR VALVE)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1995 FORD CONTOUR: BC0302972301 51409 19970123 063130 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL:GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE (EGR VALVE)
1995 FORD CONTOUR: BC0302970201 51598 19970201 063130 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL:GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE (EGR VALVE)

Back