• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

disc trouble...HELP!

mystiquevltwin

Hard-core CEG'er
I cannot get my front disc's to come off of the hub to save my life. I have soaked them in pb blaster for the past 24 hours, put heat to them, and I've been hitting them with a hammer all day. what gives?!?!

This is the second time this has happened. I've gone to change the brakes and i cannot get the disc's off.

HOW CAN I GET THESE DAMN THINGS OFF!!!

I tried to rent some kind of a puller, but no one has it. I don't want to hit it with a hammer for much longer for fears of damaging something else.

Thanks

well i cant tell you how to get it off but I'm sure it rusted to the hub. when you put them back on or new ones on put some anti-seize grease on the hub.

i guess the only way i would try is PB and a hammer from behind the rotor. good luck man.

Well I got the driver side off, and all back together. I put the anti-seize grease on.

Now I went to the other side and I cant get the bracket that holds the caliper off. The bolts are stuck on there. I've already broken a bit. Im getting tired of this car....real fast........:mad:

Some of the Aerostar guys have had to cut theirs off with a sawz-all.

Once you make enough cuts, the rotor will flex enough to break it free from the hub. Either that, or get a biggerFH. I feel your pain. Those bad boys can be quite stubborn at times.

Well I got both of the rotors off. The only thing that really worked was a LOT of liquid wrench, hammering and heat. They came off eventually.

The bolt on the other hand wasn't so friendly. I did get it off, but not after breaking two bits, two ratchets, and spending $60 on a stripped bolt extractor. I'm just glad that the damn thing is off and that job is done.

yeah, the same thing happened to me, the origional rotors were still on my tour at 161K miles O.O

you could tell too because of how worn they were. Either way, I had to spend about an hour on each rotor.

Is this a big problem in the rust belt?

Is this a big problem in the rust belt?

I have been following this post and others, It has been 25years since I lived in the rust belt and have forgotten the trials and tribulations of rust and repair. Are contours more prone to this type of problem than other cars?

Viva La DESERT where nothing much rusts

Andrew

Back