• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Kumho ECSTA AST's anyone?

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
I'm looking for an affordable all season, decent looking tire, that doesn't scream "TOURING"!! :blackeye: See my other thread on my camber woes. http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=15942
I found the AST in 225/45R17, and can get all 4 on the road for $400. I think that is a pretty good deal, but I need to know if anyone has any experience with them? I've read the reviews on tirerack and discounttiredirect, but I was hoping for a perspective from a Contour owner.
The tire salesman tried to get me to take the ASX's, but I'm just not feeling that tread... :nonono: I am currently running Kumho 711's.
Thanks for any help.
Erick --

BTW, you can't search on 3 letter words, so I can't search for AST!!! :blackeye:

I picked up a set for my brothers 18's, & I'm currently running a set on my wifes SVT (16's). They are great tires for the money & I like the look.

currently running them on my 3L-turbo. not THE quietest tire on the road, but they hold relatively well, and perform in water above average. They certainly impressed me with their traction, although they AREN'T summer performance tires, so don't expect them to be!

Have you fixed your suspension issues yet?? Otherwise you're kinda' getting ahead of yourself. Don't do what some have done and just get tires figuring that maybe they were bad and new ones will solve the problem. You will just burn through tires and $$$. I had an issue with inner rear tire wear and swapped out 2 sets in 10K miles only to have someone tell me I had a bent control arm.

Nope, the suspension issues aren't resolved, but I thought I'd double my research efforts on new tires as they are needed pretty badly now. I can throw those on and just drive my Thunderbird until I get it all figured out. I know what you mean about just throwing $$ at it. :blackeye:
Thanks for the replies all.
Erick --

I've got the Ecsta ASX's on my cobra in 275/40/17. Decent tire actually. Not outstanding in any category, but solid in dry, wet and in snow, even in the Cobra. Well worth the $$ if you need an all season.

I put on ECSTA ASX 4,000 miles ago, I think they are a decent tire for the price. Despite what the salesman may tell you, they are NOT a performance tire. They are a little noisier than my previous tires (Pirelli touring 400s). Very good handling in wet conditions IMO. Overall I am very happy with them.
-Mike

i have the ultra high performance all season by kuhmo i forget the name and they RULE! my car compared to the pirellis before, handles like a ferrari now! i love it, they really grip the road hard!

my car compared to the pirellis before, handles like a ferrari now! i love it, they really grip the road hard!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHA

Take your car through a slalom, a hillside road, or a track with any Ferrari and see how "close" to its handling you got. I'm not talking power, or speed; I'm talking strictly HANDLING. In no way, shape, or form do our cars handle "like a ferrari" simply from putting a set of low-dollar (compared to ACTUAL racing tires) summer performance tires like those Kuhmos!!

Its great that you like the improvement, and even better that you are wanting to spread the good word about them, but try to tone down your responses. When you are so "over the top" about it, people tend to start brushing off what you have to say because its either "the best thing ever!!" or "the worst thing in the whole world!!!" I liken it to crying wolf. Not all things are THAT good or THAT bad.. Try to be a little more balanced in your reviews, especially if you want to influence those with a monicum of intelligence, and not just 16 year old newly licensed drivers with $100 to spend.

Last edited:
I have the ASX's and they are a great tire. especially for the money. Im on my second set and I put easily 45,000 miles on the first set. Like Rara was saying they aren't the quietest tire, and they don't excel in any one category, except maybe price. They perform way better all around than many more expensive tires. I wouldn't go as far as to compare to a Ferrari, but they definately do improve the handling.

Last edited:
I have a new set of ASX's on my Cougar. They are a little soft, and don't bite as well as my old 711's. But, as mentioned, they do very well in the wet, and they are fine on the dry. Plus they make a nice howl when they break loose :) For the price, it's a good well-rounded tire.

I have a set of ASX's on my E1's for the winter. They weren't too bad in the first snow (about 3").

If they break away on ice you're going for a ride (much like most all season tires).

Last edited:
I've got the Ecsta ASX's on my cobra in 275/40/17. Decent tire actually. Not outstanding in any category, but solid in dry, wet and in snow, even in the Cobra. Well worth the $$ if you need an all season.

Good to know on the snow part. I just ordered some. :laugh: $70 a tire is a good deal.

I have a second set of these on my Contour....215-50-16.....I do all freeway miles and yes, they are a little noisey....We had our first rain last Friday and no problems....Can't beat the price....

Wow, I'm surprised to hear people comment on the Khumo ASX's. I am running a set of 225/50/16's, and they are great in the wet, but I don't think they are as good as my old Falken Ziex 512's in the dry. :shrug: To me, they tend to squeal a lot more, as well, which tends to make the wife a little nervous. :laugh: I do like the higher treadwear rating of the Khumo's.
Drove today for the first time in snow with the Khumo's, and they did ok, probably about even with the Falken's. I honestly think that my next set will be another set of Falken's, simply going of my own experience. I just feel more secure in the Falken's than I do in the Khumos. Just my .02

Back