• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

problem with car starting

ConcepTrs913

Veteran CEG'er
So Ive been having problems starting my car. I have deduced its not the alternator or the battery. After I try starting the car nothing happens and it sounds like a relay is bad. The interior lighting relay is making all these weird noises so I pulled that out and there seems to be more power in the car (beeping is louder).

When I have the key in acc the clock is bright and the lights are as well (when they are manually turned on because the relay is out) and as soon as I turn the key to start all the lights dim and go off...

Any ideas guys?

If there is bad connections at the terminals, the car will do that.

It happened to me only AFTER putting in a new Optima battery. The leaking acid from the previous battery made a poor connection on the new one. It wouldn't start after leaving wrok the next day until I tapped the terminals around. When I got home I just went at it with a Dremel inside the terminals.

Been perfect since then.

Worth a shot. Check it out.

How did you "deduce" it's not the battery? Sounds like it could be...

If you took a voltmeter to the terminals and it read 12.5 or so volts the battery can still be bad...I know this from experience. The no-load voltage can be good but drop significantly when you close the ignition circuit. If you haven't had someone turn the key while reading the battery voltage (shouldn't drop more than 2-3 volts) then I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

Back