• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power Loss, Now Won't Start - Alternator? Battery?

Tisby

CEG'er
Earlier this morning I was driving down the highway at about 75mph. I noticed the tachometer jumping around and it landed at 0. At the same time the ABS & Parking Brake Lights came on and stayed on. Also, the heater stopped blowing as hard/forceful as it had been and the lights dimmed. I pulled to the side of the road and turned the car off. It has refused to start since then. I had the car towed back home. I'm now at a loss. When I try to start the car, there is a clicking and the lights in the car dim, but nothing else. This happened both when I tried the car by itself and when the tow driver tried to jump-start it. The battery is only showing 10.5 volts across both posts, but it had been running the 4-ways and the radio for about 90-minutes. There is still electric power for everything, but the response is slow and sluggish like the battery is dead. The only other thing is in the two pictures below, there's a ton of corrosion on the battery. I'm thinking alternator, but would that keep it from starting?
BatteryStuff001.jpg
BatteryStuff002.jpg

first clean the battery connections, then test the battery, charge if needed and test again to determine that the battery is good and will hold a charge, if so go on to test the alternator to make us that it is outputting the correct voltage ...

Don't forget to clean using gloves, that stuff is basically acid... Make sure it hasn't coroded the wires attached to the battery

Corrosion Ate The Whole Wire

Corrosion Ate The Whole Wire

So the corrosion chewed through the whole wire. How far back does that wire go? I've traced it to a little plastic box by the starter and I'm hoping it ends there. Aynbody know? Or know where I could get a diagram. I'm not too good at navigating Autozone's website...:shrug:

Back