• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

better performance

Color probably has something to do with whether or not there is any benefit to having the liner regarding hood paint oxidation. My guess is that the darker colors may be affected more as they already absorb a lot of heat from the sun. At any rate, mine is staying on my black '98.
Karl

Mine has been off of my black 00 for 4 years now and I live in Florida, original paint and no problems, I do however take care of my paint with regular wax and overall good care practice. I have noticed no power gain or tempeture drop from removing it though, I only did because it was damaged when I was replacing my washer nozzles and it was hanging down on the engine. If it isn't ripped don't touch it.

I took mine out, when the car was parked over the winter for engine replacement a mouse got into it.

As far as fire whatever. I tried to help someone in a taurus put out an engine fire once. I had a large fire extinguisher. We used some long sticks to open the hood, but that stupid mat was down over the engine and would break up instead of lift. So, we were not able to get at the fire. I used up the entire extinguisher around the edges. We ended up just letting it burn till the fire department got there.

What a waste.

Yeah Ford may have put it in, but the heat arguement has one problem, if it effects your paint so dramatically, why was it completely decontented? Mine never had one, pain is in excellent condition inside and out. Do whatever you want with it, but if I had one I'd take it off.

my old integra never had that liner on it and the paint on the hood was as good as new with minimal waxing (once a year!). i know you guys are probably going to say that a V6 produces more heat or some other ****, but my buddies old 5.0 mustang didnt have the liner either. i agree with those that say that it is there to lessen engine noise. im probably going to take mine off tomorrow or whenever i got time.

Back