• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

better performance

CSVTkid

CEG'er
would i get better performance if i removed the cover that is attached to the bottom of the hood, would it create less heat or what?:help:

Nope, its ugly, and doesn't do anything so i would take it out, no cons/pros to it performance wise.

Some people say it would stop an engine fire.. IMO it wont.

I kind of like the hood pad as it does cut engine noise. I removed mine when I damaged it trying to gain access to the bottom side of the washer nozzles. It was just too old and tender. The only difference I notice is that I can hear the induction noise more, especially at full throttle. Sounds kind of nice. I can also hear a little more airy noise at light throttle that sound like an open intake. I still have all the factory SVT intake equipment.

Conclusion, it doesn't matter much. I wouldn't take it off if it is in good shape, but I wouldn't bother to replace it either.

This might sound dumb, but back when I was a technician, I got in the habit of detailing the engine myself after a fire restoration job instead of sending it out to a detail shop. The reason? A detail shop damaged a new hood pad that I installed and I was accused of not installing a new one.

i took mine off a coupla weeks ago on a whim. Its looks WAY nicer and you can def here the engine better.

Mine was off my car but it was put there for a reason and that reason was to keep the heat under the hood and not heat up your hood paint..Over time it will show..It showed on my buddy kyles car..He now regrets it..But to each there own mine was removed for who knows how long..Not a problem..Didnt notice any cooling difference at all

Mine was off my car but it was put there for a reason and that reason was to keep the heat under the hood and not heat up your hood paint..Over time it will show..It showed on my buddy kyles car..He now regrets it..But to each there own mine was removed for who knows how long..Not a problem..Didnt notice any cooling difference at all

i think your the first person to ever say the heat caused a problem with the paint. i have no issues going on about 1.5 years.

this subject has been debated time and time again. so i think its up to the owner. my hood dose not get hot enough to cause concern. my hood gets way way hotter from the sun than the motor.

Last edited:
In my opnion, with it removed, I believe the engine heat can promote hood paint damage over a long period of time if:

1. Your vehicle is mostly exposed to the elements (Sun, rain, hail etc.)
2. You don't clean it or wax it properly.
3. Bad paint job.

In my opnion, with it removed, I believe the engine heat can promote hood paint damage over a long period of time if:

1. Your vehicle is mostly exposed to the elements (Sun, rain, hail etc.)
2. You don't clean it or wax it properly.
3. Bad paint job.

Those 3 things will kill your paint regardless of the hood liner. The heat argument is totally bogus. I'm going on 6 years in GA with no liner, with all the hot summers, and my car is outside all day and the hood paint is no different than any other surface.

My Mystique never had a hood liner and we bought it new from the dealership. But yet, the '00 CSVT I just bought has the hood liner still. I've been debating removing it, only because I think the engine bay will stay a little cleaner without the debris from the hood liner there.

Nope, its ugly, and doesn't do anything so i would take it out, no cons/pros to it performance wise.

Some people say it would stop an engine fire.. IMO it wont.

Your right. It won't stop it.

it can help keep it contained, as it keeps oxygen from the top half of the motor.

It burned in my engine fire....

my hood was very slightly oxidized on the top, and was that way for over 9 months, then i took the hood liner off, and within 6 months, i had to have the hood repainted, man, what a costly little mod, that did no good!!! DON'T take it off unless its crap, and I'd replace it if I were you..

i am in florida where the sun gets a lot of time to screw things up, but it was definetly accelerated from taking it off!

ignoring whether or not it helps in a fire, FWIW: I removed my engine liner and the hood was fine for 4 + years on the SVT, 3 + years on my 95 LX and not to mention that later years they were DECONTENTED completely.

ignoring whether or not it helps in a fire, FWIW: I removed my engine liner and the hood was fine for 4 + years on the SVT, 3 + years on my 95 LX and not to mention that later years they were DECONTENTED completely.
I'm not sure about that, my 2k had one but i took it off....

Back