• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ride heigth and suspension problems

musicars

New CEG'er
I was wondering if anyone had information with regard to the ride height of our '97 Contour SE with the 2.5l V6 and automatic trans and about 80,000 miles. I started comparing it to other Contours around and this one is considerably lower than others. I actually like the look but since I'm getting a lot of suspension noise I know it is time for some new parts. This is a daily driver and that includes winter and then ground clearance becomes an issue. The previous owner ripped back the mesh cover on the exhaust flex pipe so I know clearance has been an issue. I measured the bottom lip of the fender well at the center line of each tire and got LF (left front) 25.5", RF 25.6", LR 25.1", and RR 25.4". Is this normal? My spring code on the door jamb sticker DZZW and the front springs have a sticker with a DZM and a 94BB on them.

The car has a harsh ride rattles over bumps and a clunk when turned hard left at slow speeds. I climbed under and found the left rear spring was broken and right tie rod shot which explains some of it. The struts appear to be original as do the springs.

So I'm planning on new struts and at least rear springs. I originally planned on Gabriel replacements struts, and aftermarket springs like Moog or McQuay-Norris since the cost is pretty reasonable. But I see that Ford lists both the struts and springs as being different for an SE. Aftermarket stuff covers several applications. Has anyone had any luck with the aftermarket stuff or should I stick with Ford parts? I have a feeling the aftermarket strut/spring combo will lift the car which is fine if it doesn't look like a 4x4. After ready other posts I don't see a big push for Motorcraft struts but I do some using Ford springs. What about the Gabriel struts and Ford springs. The big thing is getting rid of the noises and harsh ride. I'm not hard-core on performance (OK, not when anybody is looking) but I want a good balance between performance, ride height, and cost. Also do I need to replace the front springs?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks, Joel

Last edited:
Start by changing what you know needs to be done. You will need the tie rod. Aftermarket parts are fine but make sure you get the correct one for the 95-97. The 98-00 are different.

As for the struts and springs, they are due for changing (especially the one which is broken). Get the stock ones. They are much cheaper than the aftermarket performance ones.

Incidentally, since you have a ATX, look under your driver side wheel. If the tranny is sitting on the subframe, it is time for a new tranny to driver fender mount.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4977&highlight=tranny+mount

Last edited:
For the possible chance that your car has lowering springs on it that the previous owner did not divulge, make sure you replace the springs and struts both front and rear. Otherwise the car won't sit level. If the car still has the stock size wheels and tires, it won't look like a 4X4 with the new suspension.
Karl

Back