• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Newbie question about changing spark plugs...

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
Reading through and before attempting this on Saturday, I just want to know how can I measure how much in lb i use when turning the torque wrench? Basically I'm asking what do you mean when tightening the plug is 140 in lb of torque?

You can either use a torque wrench which will tell you how much force you are putting on. The way I did it was to screw the plug in finger tight (without the rachet on the extension) and then give it approximately a 1/4 turn or until it was firm using a 3/8 ratchet. If you do this, you just want to make sure that you don't overdo it. Remember FIRM, not as tight as you can get it.

Using the torque wrench will ELIMINATE having to stop it, or guess how tight. it automatically clicks, or spins when reaching the desired torque level.

regular ratchets have to have YOU stop it, and guess.

so basically turn until I ffeel a click...?

so basically turn until I ffeel a click...?

so basically turn until I ffeel (hear) a click...?

so the spec is 140lbs on a duratec?

Only if you want to pull the threads out of the head. The most common torque wrenches read foot pounds. In foot pounds you only need about 10 to 15. To put that in perspective you nusully need about 100 foot pounds for wheel lug nuts.

140 INCH pounds sounds about right if you have an INCH pound torque wrench.

I made my living as a tune up mechanic for several years. Other than in a training class, I never used a torque wrench when installing plugs and never had any trouble from it. You eventually learn to feel the correct tightness. If you have done much of any auto repairs with hand tools, you should know how it feels.

i just used a standard length ratchet. i just turned it lightly untill it stopped than tightened it a bit more without overdoing it. just make sure you thread them in strait. one thing i always do is twist the old plugs back and forth to help clear the threads a bit. i was told to remove the coil pack ,but i didnt have to.

Watch out with the length of the tool...

The longer the tool, the easier it is to apply more torque to the item.

What the deal is, you trade distance for torque, as you have to move the end of the longer tool farther to do the same amount of work as a shorter tool, but it's easier to turn due to more torque applied to the item.

Example: Rusted lug nut. If you can't turn the nut with the tool, most people will add a longer tube on the lug wrench. This will make it easier to loosen the nut, but as most people who have done this will confirm, it's very easy to break off a lug with this method because of the above statement.

Pretty much what I'm telling y'all, you have a better chance of over torquing stuff (in turn, breaking) with a longer wrench/ratchet.

Torque on Wikipedia

Back