• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake Manifold + Throttle Body cleaning pics

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Here are the pictures I took of my day of fun. Sorry, but all I had available was my cell phone.

Here's one vacuum line pulled:
Pix034.jpg

Here's how I rigged it up. I bought some aquarium tubing from wal-mart and wrapped duct tape around the end to make it fit snugly in the hole:
Pix035.jpg

And then I used a C-clamp to regulate the flow.
Pix036.jpg

It went in smoothly but there was a lot of toxic-tasting smoke coming out of the exhaust. I had to rev it a bit to keep the engine running at times, and smoke did come out of the exhaust for a mile or so until I ran it all out.

Next up was the throttle body:
Pix039.jpg

My original intent was to fully optimize it, but unfortunately the TPS and butterfly plate screws were so tight I wasn't able to get them off without the risk of permanently stripping them, so I used some B12 solvent and a toothbrush to clean the plate and a dremel with a grinding stone to take off the screw ends and sharpen the leading edge of the plate.

After:
Pix041.jpg

Pix040.jpg

I did all of this and swapped spark plugs which helped eliminate the cylinder 3 misfire CEL I was getting.

i guess he just ran some cleaner through the uim...much better to just take it off. it's only a few bolts and you can clean it alot better than a can of berrymans or whatever ever will. not to mention you won't run all that crap through your motor.

i guess he just ran some cleaner through the uim...much better to just take it off. it's only a few bolts and you can clean it alot better than a can of berrymans or whatever ever will. not to mention you won't run all that crap through your motor.

Yeah but every dealership does it almost like that. They stick in a u bend with a fogger tip inside the throttlebody to rubber intake hose. To release the solvent while the car is running. I wonder why dealerships do it if it can be harmful to the motor. Either way i never noticed much of a diff when i cleaned mine.

im not saying it's harmful, i'm just saying you can get it much cleaner removing it and dipping it...and taking some brushes to it.

i'm not even gonna go into why ford dealerships do what they do, because it usually defies all logical reason.

myabe you didn't feel a difference because just spraying it while running doesn't do much?? also, it's highly recommended to clean the ium and lim together as they both get pretty gunked up.

Sorry but if you've ever removed one for cleaning you'll know that method isn't doing squat.

Sorry but if you've ever removed one for cleaning you'll know that method isn't doing squat.

That is the best way to put it Todd. I spent a total of 6-8 hours scrubbing my darn intake manifolds, along with 2 weeks of soaking and completely submerging my intake manifolds in various cleaning solevents such as kerosene, simple green (my favorite), etc...

The UIM is a PITB!

Well the previous owner babied it which lead up to a lot of carbon build up that gave me trouble, when I would get on the gas you could see carbon come out the exhaust and 5 minutes of driving could cake the inside of the exhaust tips. When I cleaned it out there was a lot of carbon residue that came out and since then the inside of the tips will stay clean. I realize that taking it off to clean is much better for it and I plan on doing that eventually but I decided to do what I can now.
For those that don't understand, I was following this how-to.

Back