• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Am I an idiot!

97vulcan

CEG'er
Ok, so my E0 rims were dirty, and I was in the mood for cleaning them. I took a green scrub thing that you use to scrub pots with. Not the metal one, but plastic, and proceeded to clean my rims. Once I was done cleaning the driver front and passenger front, I noticed that they were dull!.:nonono: WTH???? the plastic scrubber along with dish soap took off my clearcoat???? I need to know what I can do to protect the rims now. I only did the two, and not the back ones. Is there any hope??? :shrug: :help:

Adam

Clearcoat those suckers!! You should be fine! as long as you didnt mess up the paint and knew when to stop!!

......and dont wash your car with Palmolive or Ajax anymore!!

- Amyn

Last edited:
Nope, I didn't mess up the paint....Will they be ok for a bit before I need to clearcoat them?? Is there any specific brand of clearcoat you guys recommend?? How should I go about clearcoating them?? how many layers and such?

Thanks
Adam

I used clearcoat in a can. Just spray on a couple light coats allowing to dry a bit between each coat, then finish with a wet coat. It will actually probably look better than the stock faded clear coat. I think duplicolor makes a wheel clear coat, I used off brand though but to each his own. And just in case you dont know, (although I hope you do) take the wheels off when you do this or you'll get over spray on the body...good luck!

Back