• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wheel bearing milage

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
Just curious to see how long peoples wheel bearings lasted. I have heard they die faster in a Contique than some other cars, but kinda curious to see how long others' have lasted. I need one replaced, and it's only been about 40,000 miles. Seems kinda quick to me.:shrug:

yes that is pretty fast ... on my 99 about 80k miles for the passanger one ... on the mystique over 100k for both but at different times ...

now my father had one go in one year but that was because the shop didn't press it in right

Dang. I know I drive a bunch, but mine seem to go fast. I know it was pressed right since Stazi did it. Does driving hard affect it? I shouldn't think so, but who knows.:shrug: Thanks for the replies, guys.

I had the drivers side go out at 55k and the passenger side go out at 60k [that one was REALLY bad]

99,000 miles and still original for me. The passenger side is just starting to make some noise, but not to the point where Im going to worry about it yet. Now everything else has been replaced (clutch, w/p, main cat, LCA's, struts, sway bar links, starter, O2's ...) but somehow those wheel bearings are still holding on.

Passenger side is at 119k and still going good.

Drivers side crapped out around 110k, replaced and bad again now at 119k. :nonono:

I'll be ordering a knuckle with bearing pressed from Stazi this time.

What symptoms did you guys have when they started going bad? I've had a "tick" or "click" sound coming from the right front which I can't quite figure out. It seems to be speed dependent, but it's tough to hear it w/o somthing along side of the road for the sound to reflect off of. I'm thinking it's either the wheel bearing or possibly related to the axel, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Oh, and I have 80k on mine...

Mine felt like a tie rod end going, like a "wobble" during turns. Most times they make a noise during turns, sounds like loud tire noise. Mine made no noise this time, however. You will also be able to wiggle the wheel doing the 3-9 test on the tire.

Mine went at 45k, like clockwork on both sides. The FAG I replaced them with seem to be doing a little better than the fords, 55k and counting.

The bearings are undersized on the contour, they knew in 1995, they did not do anything about it.

To those who went over 100k, thats how long they should go. Even a little more. 50k miles is just crap.

BTW, it could be worse. the GM equinox/torrent and Saturn Vue have unitized hub/bearings. It would still be ok if they lasted a while. Unfortunately, they are dual ball bearings (crap), and GM did not think it wise to harden the the hub, which acts as the inner race for the bearings. This is a crime against engineering, period. Saturn Vue owners are crying about poor bearing life, I can only cringe when I think of the heavier equinox/torrents running on the same hubs...

This is a crime against engineering, period.

lol, thats what my grandfather said about my hubs [masters degree in lubrication engineering and designed ball-bearings most of his life]. I told him I didnt hear of anyone having problems, and now for some reason everyone is coming out of the woodworks confessing to this.

The design of the bearings is lousy (too much free play) and they're undersized to boot. I let Ford do my first set and the mechanic told me they can go with very few miles as the grease simply dries up. I recently did a clutch and trans job and figured it w/b a good time to do the bearings also. With my luck they would fail in the middle of January. I found out that the mechanic had re-used a bad hub and it was flopping around in the bearing. Lucky I caught it when I did.

Clicking or popping when turning is a sure sign you've got CV joint problems.

Also, don't forget that any wheel/tire problems will adversely affect your wheel bearings. My rr bearings have almost 300,000 kms on them! Now on the third set of fronts.

Give me the good old days when you could disassemble the hub and visually inspect, clean and regrease the bearings. With clean grease they last virtually forever.

Back