• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car wont start

CDMsoccer16

New CEG'er
So yesterday I installed my underbody kit and wired the neons into the power wire for my subs. When I tried to start the car, it just sat there and wouldn't do anything. The battery isn't dead because all the lights and everything work. I then looked in the fuse box and saw that it was blowing a fuse, so I took all the wires out that I messed with last night and put everything back. I then bought some more fuses and tried to start the car again but it blew the fuse again. There is no reason that it should be blowing the fuse because nothing is hooked up anymore. I also don't have the owner's manual to look at what it is blowing. It is in the fuse box in the engine bay and it is fuse F41. If anyone knows anything about it or could help me out at all i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Chris

So yesterday I installed my underbody kit and wired the neons into the power wire for my subs. When I tried to start the car, it just sat there and wouldn't do anything. The battery isn't dead because all the lights and everything work. I then looked in the fuse box and saw that it was blowing a fuse, so I took all the wires out that I messed with last night and put everything back. I then bought some more fuses and tried to start the car again but it blew the fuse again. There is no reason that it should be blowing the fuse because nothing is hooked up anymore. I also don't have the owner's manual to look at what it is blowing. It is in the fuse box in the engine bay and it is fuse F41. If anyone knows anything about it or could help me out at all i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Chris
By "won't do anything" do you mean no open door chime, no fuel pump action when you first turn the key, no nothing? And what is "everything" in the all the lights and everything works sentence?

My owner's manual doesn't show an F41 but it says that the circuits that the fuses and relays protect are shown inside the P.D. Box cover. And if you mean that the starter won't engage (won't do anything), only fuse 1 (but that controls all power), 10 (ignition switch) and R6 (starter solenoid) would be your likely culprits if I'm reading the manual correctly. It looks like each fuse and relay only protect one or two things max.

Where did you snag the power from for the subs?
Karl

By "won't do anything" do you mean no open door chime, no fuel pump action when you first turn the key, no nothing? And what is "everything" in the all the lights and everything works sentence?

My owner's manual doesn't show an F41 but it says that the circuits that the fuses and relays protect are shown inside the P.D. Box cover. And if you mean that the starter won't engage (won't do anything), only fuse 1 (but that controls all power), 10 (ignition switch) and R6 (starter solenoid) would be your likely culprits if I'm reading the manual correctly. It looks like each fuse and relay only protect one or two things max.

Where did you snag the power from for the subs?
Karl

I hooked the power cord for the subs right to the battery. It has been working for a few years so I have no idea why it would do anything now.
The door chime still works, the interior and exterior lights still work. the windows still work. The only electrical thing that I noticed doesn't work is the buttons to lock and unlock the door.
When I turn the key, all the lights come on just like i'm turning on the car, like the gas and break and everything in the gauges. The car just doesn't turn over. There isn't even the clicking noise. There is no sound at all.
The F41 I got was from underneath the cover of the fuse box. It has a diagram of the fuse box and labels for everything but it does't help because I dont know what the labels mean. I have a 99 Contour SE.

EEC Relay

EEC Relay

I was able to get ahold of someones owners manual and figured out it was the EEC Relay fuse in the fuse box that was blowing. I dont know what that does or what would be causing that to blow. Thanks...

I was able to get ahold of someones owners manual and figured out it was the EEC Relay fuse in the fuse box that was blowing. I dont know what that does or what would be causing that to blow. Thanks...
So it's the EEC module relay (#11) then? Because there are also 3 fuses for the EEC as well. I think relays will reset but fuses burn out and have to be replaced. At any rate, the module may have gone bad. It could be a coincidence that this happened when you were hooking up the neons. Or maybe not. It's hard to tell and a diagnostic will most likely have to be done.

The door lock fuse is #25 in the passenger compartment fuse box according to my manual.

Even though I have a 98, I would imagine the fuse and relay configuration would be the same. My owner's manual is copyrighted 1996.
Karl

I did a quick thread search and found this..... and I don't see any fuse 41..... are you sure it's fuse 41?? A picture would be nice of what your looking at and where it's blowing...

Turn on headlights. Look outside rear lights. Is it on or off? If off, then you need the Headlamp switch recall kit.

If rear lights are on, check fuse panel for instrument or courtesy lights fuse.

Edit.
Headlamp switch recall thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ld=1year&Main=1172187&Search=true#Post1172316

From Ray,

a list of fuses for the entire car:

"FUSE LIST" (just said these so it comes up in searches)
FUSE DIAGRAM

FUSES
ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX
Fuse # - Amp - Color - Circuit
1 - 80 - Black - Main power
2 - 60 - Yellow - Engine cooling fan
3 - 60 - Yellow - ABS braking system, Heater blower motor
4 - 20 - Yellow - Daytime running lights
5 - 15 - Light Blue - Fog lamp
6 - Not used
7 - 20 - Yellow - ABS system
8 - Not used
9 - 20 - Light Blue - ECU
10 - 20 - Light Blue - Ignition switch
11 - 3 - Violet - ECU memory
12 - 15 - Light Blue - Horn, Hazard flasher warning system
13 - 20 - Yellow - Oxygen sensor
14 - 15 - Light Blue - Fuel pump
15 - 10 - Red - Low beam, passenger side
16 - 10 - Red - Low beam, driver's side
17 - 10 - Red - High beam, passenger side
18 - 10 - Red - High beam, driver's side
PASSENGER COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX
Fuse # - Amp - Color - Circuit
19 - Not used
20 - 10 - Black - Wiper motors (circuit breaker)
21 - 40 - Orange - Power windows
22 - 7.5 - Brown - ABS module
23 - 15 - Light Blue - Backup lights
24 - 15 - Light Blue - Brake lights
25 - 20 - Yellow - Door locks
26 - 7.5 - Brown - Main light
27 - 15 - Light Blue - Cigarette lighter
28 - 30 - Light Green - Electric seats
29 - 30 - Light Green - Rear window defroster
30 - 7.5 - Brown - Engine management system
31 - 7.5 - Brown - Instrument panel illumination
32 - 7.5 - Brown - Radio
33 - 7.5 - Brown - Parking lamps - drivers side
34 - 7.5 - Brown - Interior lights, electric side mirrors, clock
35 - 7.5 - Brown - Parking lights - passenger side
36 - 10 - Red - Air bag
37 - 30 - Light Green - Heater blower motor
38 - Not used

RELAYS
ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX
Relay - Circuit
R1 - Daytime running lights
R2 - Radiator fan, high speed
R3 - Air conditioning
R4 - Air conditioning clutch
R5 - Radiator fan, low speed
R6 - Starter solenoid
R7 - Horn
R8 - Fuel pump
R9 - Headlight, low beam
R10 - Headlight, high beam
R11 - ECU module
D1 - Reverse voltage protection
PASSENGER COMPARTMENT FUSE B0X
Relay - Circuit
R12 - Interior lighting
R13 - Rear window defroster
R14 - Heater blower motor
R15 - Wiper motor
R16 - Ignition
D2 - Reverse voltage protection

I did a quick thread search and found this..... and I don't see any fuse 41..... are you sure it's fuse 41?? A picture would be nice of what your looking at and where it's blowing...

Its in the Power Distribution box inside the engine bay. I actually got it fixed a little bit today. I replaced the fuse and tried to go back to all the wires I touched and push tem back in, because some told me that I just had a short somewhere in the car. It started and I thought everything was alright. Then later, after sitting around talkingto my friends, I tried starting it again and it started to turn over, but after like a second it blew the fuse again. It went all back to where I started, with the car not starting at all. So I know it is the ECC Relay, and I know that it should be something with a lose wire, but I dont know where to start again. It just took like 2 hours going through each wire I touched before.

LoL... don't you just love the weather, just like as soon as you wash your car a bird poops on it or it rains... heh

Back