• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Record for longest time w/o CEL?

WingBender

CEG'er
My check engine light came on the other day after having stayed dark for over two years. I think this may be a Contour all-time record for the longest stretch without the light coming on. Has anyone gone longer without a CEL?

i've owned the car for 4 years and it just came on last month for the rear o2 bank. now im the second owner so for him im not sure. but for me a little under 4 years

No CEL light for 5 years

No CEL light for 5 years

My check engine light came on the other day after having stayed dark for over two years. I think this may be a Contour all-time record for the longest stretch without the light coming on. Has anyone gone longer without a CEL?

Our Misty '99 went from the day we bought it in 2001 to 2006
without a CEL light , of course we did not drive more than 50k on it .
the only CEL so far was Co2 sensor bank one upper sensor in pre-cat.
Fixed it and no others ever... I did some good maintenance through the years though.

About a week after I bought my car, I put on an intake and the CEL has been on ever since (almost 3 years).
Does MI not have annual inspections or something? People have sold cars around here simply because they couldn't get the CEL to go away and pass inspection.

well Ive caused my CEL light to come on. dose that count? i just forget to plug something back in. but other than that nothing. about a 1.5 years.

Does MI not have annual inspections or something? People have sold cars around here simply because they couldn't get the CEL to go away and pass inspection.

Heres what I did to get my Mystique to get through emitions. Even though it ran like crap and allways threw the same CEL since I purchased the damn thing.

Go to a CSK Auto parts store, the one closest to you emitions testing, ask to borrow there scanner. Scan comp and tell it to clear all codes, now there will be no codes AND the ECU won't have to recheck all systems. Then make a madd dash to the emmitions booth. Test. Then drive away and your CEL will come on in few short miles.

If you unplug your cars battery it won't pass, becouse it have to check every system and make shure its running right. This takes 3 good drives. If you take it too emtitions they will tell you ECU not ready or some crap.

With this method I got my Mystique to pass emitions 3 times, I only fialed the first time, becouse I did the battery trick not the code clearing trick.

Nope we don't have that crap here, thank the lord.

Pros: No inspections, no front plate, 10 cent bottle return
Cons: Crappy fireworks

last CEL that I had was around last summer for a P0420/P0430, they alternated some. But that when away with mil eliminators and now headers :laugh:

actually I had codes for lean on both banks this spring in may but that was because I installed 19# injectors and hadn't installed the SVT PCM yet

The 95 didn't have one for a year before it popped on. One of the vacume lines was leaking, so I taped it up after doing the UIM cleaning. And away it went.

The SVT on the other hand. It had a CEL on when I bought it, brought it in, they read it and took it off. It was off for about a month and now it is back on. DOH! First time it was fuel circuit failure and another fuel thing I think....I can't remember. They didn't think it was major.

Mine's been on for over 2 years and counting :)

The longest period of time that it wasn't on was for about a week or two after I bought the car.

Back