• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how rare is traction control on 98 +

Brapple sent me a pm wanting me to go through my huge collection of contour brochures and contour info packets to help with this.

traction control was an option that only could be purchased on abs cars, just because you had abs didn't give you traction control it was still an option. This was a factory option not a dealer add on option, the car would be built with a abs/traction control program in the computer.

traction control was offered for 1995 & 1996 then returned in 1999 for V6 abs cars only. 2000 the final year abs and traction control was still an option. 1997 and 1998 have no listing in the brochures or dealer info packets under safety features like the other years for traction control, maybe this was due to the change in the system I'm not sure. remember these where stand alone options, traction control was not part of a abs package or any other type of package either you or the dealer had to order this.

know when I had my dyno tune done and we went into the stock program we found my traction control program, we didn't try to disable it Mike freedman who was doing the tune said it look pretty complex and wasn't sure how to tackle it.

It was it's own program, and that is what ford is charging you for, the wires may be there for saving costs on produciing line stuff. Like the power seats wires even though you have manual seats like me, making it nice and easy to put power seats in :laugh: . the cost is for the traction control program. I don't mind it never really gives me a issue, one time I got cought in some really heavy rain on the highway and the light flashed a couple of times, so it may have saved me from hydroplaning w/o knowing it. nice having a rare option though :cool: that's how I'll look at it.

also a little side note 2000 being the last year when I bought mine brand new I made sure to keep my window sticker, when the dealer ordered mine they checked off every option available for 2000 that's why I have traction control, etc. pretty cool I thought to have a last year made fully loaded contour :laugh: . oh well hope this helps out.

Well today I took a little light tester to that harness to see if the wires had power. I grounded the light and tester all the wires. With the ignition on: 2 lit up fully, 1 lit up half, one didn't light but caused to passenger compartment fused box to click as the light was touched, and one did nothing (didn't check wire colors but most likely the ground).

Now I kind of want to hook up a TC button to it just to see if it does do anything. hmmmm... :shrug:

impossible .... the TC uses the abs braking system to control wheel spin, and it has in all years available on the contour .... difference being the post 98 cars controlled the throttle electronically where as the pre98 used a mechanical means ....

there are two different abs units, one for tc and without .... and you need the computer code with the tc in it ....

I'm fairly sure i dont have ABS, If I do then it only works w/TC cause it sure doesn't work otherwise. VIN# also says I do not have ABS (according to multiple insurance companies). Where is the ABS unit? I would like to know if I have this cause I get a break on my insurance if i do!

EDIT: Just decoded VIN# there is no digit for abs/tc or anything related other than model designation...

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure i dont have ABS, If I do then it only works w/TC cause it sure doesn't work otherwise. VIN# also says I do not have ABS (according to multiple insurance companies). Where is the ABS unit? I would like to know if I have this cause I get a break on my insurance if i do!

if you don't have abs then you don't have traction control, skunk here has every contour brocure for every year and this is what he said

traction control was an option that only could be purchased on abs cars, just because you had abs didn't give you traction control it was still an option. This was a factory option not a dealer add on option, the car would be built with a abs/traction control program in the computer.

the abs unit is below the brake master cylinder in the engine bay ... you should see the abs light turn on when you start the car and you should also hear a slight grinding noise when passing 10 mph for the first time as this is the abs doing a self test ...

Well this is whats behind my blank. So im assuming thats all I have to do is get the switch? If so does anybody know how much they are new?

IMG_0867.jpg

so just because you pulled the blank switch out and the plug is there that means you have traction control? so the option was the switch. the program needs to be in the computer to run it.

it still may be possible that the plug may get some power to it once a switch makes contact with it, which may make the light in th switch work(possible) since the system works with the abs side also, I could be wrong, but they are tied in together. it does use engine timing also which is another reason for the program needing to be in there.

I like the version on the pre98s as it is a mechanical system. from my understanding the post 98 version still uses the brakes to help control wheel spin but it also cust timing to remove engine power and most people don't like it. as for the pre98 mechanical system it used a motor to push against the gas pedal and uses the brakes to control wheel spin. So I know when its going to kick in and if I want I just keep my foot in it and the car goes, snow tires help.

as for how rare, pretty rare ... I know of 3 people on the boards here that have it, skunk, mapoftazi and the CTA SVT, but I am sure there are a few more ...

so you say you didn't have the switch but just added on and it worked or you found that is was an option on the car but was missing the switch so you added it? that point wasn't to clear from your post ...

Yeah the TC system drove me insane. Try tuning a full 3L with 3L TB and such...it's impossible. :nonono:

if you don't have abs then you don't have traction control, skunk here has every contour brocure for every year and this is what he said

the abs unit is below the brake master cylinder in the engine bay ... you should see the abs light turn on when you start the car and you should also hear a slight grinding noise when passing 10 mph for the first time as this is the abs doing a self test ...

Cool thanks for the info. Other than the ABS light on startup, I've had no evidence of having it, I thought the light was just vestigial. As for the slight grinding passing 10MPH, I always thought that was an F'ed TOB or pressure plate or something, never investigated it 'cause it never seemed to do anything other than make noise.

IIRC the swith cost me around $40 with a slight discount. Installing the switch has worked on 2 other SE's that I know of, both being '99s.

Is it possible that ford removed the switch in later models as an insurance to protect the diff???:shrug:

IIRC the swith cost me around $40 with a slight discount. Installing the switch has worked on 2 other SE's that I know of, both being '99s.

Is it possible that ford removed the switch in later models as an insurance to protect the diff???:shrug:

I aways wanted to try it myself but as mapoftazi what his pcm code is since he has/had tc .....

no they didn't just remove the switch as if the system was active you would see the light on the dash turn on while the system is active ...

Back