• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L cams in SVT engine?

kuiso1

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I was wondering if a 3L cam upgrade would be a significant upgrade in hp for the svt engine? also were could you go to find these cams online? any hel would be appreciated

why would you want to do that?

from my inderstanding the cams are specific to the heads in how they are ground so it isn't a great idea to swap them around. Also the 3L cams are also the same as the SE cams ... and they have no top end ...

why would you want to do that?

from my inderstanding the cams are specific to the heads in how they are ground so it isn't a great idea to swap them around. Also the 3L cams are also the same as the SE cams ... and they have no top end ...

3L cams are not the same as the SE cams. The SE cams are closer to the SVT cams than they are the 3L cams. The SE and SVT cams create more hp in the upper RPMs. The 3L cams give you more power down low and start dropping off much sooner. For a driver that isn't concerned about maximum hp but more with drivability 3L cams would be a good choice because it gives you good power without having to wind the engine all the way out. I'd imagine this is why they were installed in the 3L's Ford sold vs a cam like the SVT's.

They do not, well I should say maybe on the old engines they do... but there was a change over. You could use 3.0 cams in a 2.5 you'd just need the appropriate tensioners and crank gears

Taking this one step further, what if you are building a s/c 2.5l? I have been told to use the 3l cams because they are better suited to forced induction applications than the SVT cams (less duration and overlap). Anyone else's thoughts?

Taking this one step further, what if you are building a s/c 2.5l? I have been told to use the 3l cams because they are better suited to forced induction applications than the SVT cams (less duration and overlap). Anyone else's thoughts?

Its really up to you. I ran the stock SE cams in my 3.0L turbo setup. I made more lower end tq than those with svt cams, but SVT cams will make more top end power. Since the vortech is RPM dependant, I say go with SVT cams since your not going to reach maximum boost until redline anyways.

as said before.. its been done... I think the car lost 25hp on top. I can't speak from personal experience, but I USED to work on that very car all the time. It has since been reversed, either way, as the owner did NOT like it.

No, no for the 3L cams with any supercharged setup imho. 3L cams with a turbo setup wouldn't be a terrible choice, but I went with the SVT cams in my 3L turbo anyways.

Not speaking from experience with forced induction on THIS engine, but from general knowledge with forced induction, you might have a slight advantage with the milder cams with a roots type blower, as your biggest increases are at lower RPM. At higher RPM, you are already loosing so much power driving the blower that the hotter cams may not help much.

With a Vortex, there is not as much hp loss from driving the blower so the advantage is lost.

With a Turbo, the hotter SVT cams would most definitely be the better choice.

Back