• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O/D

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
I'm not sure if there was ever a discussion about this before but what I like to know is what is overdrive for and when is a good time to use it? As far as I know is good to use it when you're on the freeway. Correct me if I'm wrong. :help:

o/d is used on the freeway. its is like having a 5th gear on a manual.
its a closer drive ratio for highway use for better gas milage etc..

OD is good to use when you no longer accelerating, just coasting. Its lowers engine RPM wich then lowers fuel consumption.

Overdrive on is the 4th gear for the ATX. With the "OD off", you are only going on 3 gears. Recommended times with the OD off is when pulling a trailer and when in very mountainous regions.

More info in Owners' Manual. Download free www.fleet.ford.com

With the light on, O/D is off. Not good for the tranny to drive around all day like that.

O/D should be on all the time.

Question for you ATX Contour owners: if overdrive is off and you shut off the car ... is it still off when you turn it back on, or does it default to OD on?

Also, if you have a CEL and OD light, pull the code since it could indicate a problem with your transmission.

Question for you ATX Contour owners: if overdrive is off and you shut off the car ... is it still off when you turn it back on, or does it default to OD on?

Also, if you have a CEL and OD light, pull the code since it could indicate a problem with your transmission.

Default is on. It will be on when you restart the car.

Back