• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

5-spd is an automatic now?

gonzo1615

New CEG'er
So how is it that my 5spd, CSVT now starts without the clutch and will stay crunk without the clutch being pressed? I mean i can crank the car right up without pressing clutch, and will sit at a stop without needing to have the clutch pressed. Help..i guess!

physically? As in.. even if you are in 1st gear?

Does the car drive and perform correctly, otherwise?
Try this:

get the car going about 10-15 mph
place the car in 5th
floor the accelerator
watch the RPM's, if they go up without gaining speed (as if you were revving the car) then your clutch is slipping, and it would have to PRETTY SHOT to not die at a stop in 1st!

Yeah, otherwise it runs fine, no probs to mention. It just started the last time i drove it, which would have been about 2 hours ago. I'll give your tip a shot. Thanks

Ok, so i tried putting it in 5th, and revving it. It made some progress or it gained some speed, but nothing big. Made a hella bad smell too. It also cut off when i let off the clutch in 1st, which is not what it was doing earlier. Still starts without depressing clutch.!

I would start by finding out if your clutch switch is either bad, or shorted to ground, somewhere.

That is what the switch on the clutch stalk does.. send a ground to the starter relay, allowing it to start.

Old fart said:
The way it works is the clutch switch provides a ground for the starter relay, located in the engine fuze box. What I did was find this wire and splice in another wire that I connected to a ground. First find the C-100 connector, Its the huge one just aft of the air box, before the strut mount. It is held together by a captive bolt at the engine end. Unscrew this bolt and the connector comes apart. Its actually two connectors in series but the engine side is the one you want. Find the Black wire with a yellow tracer in socket number 31 on the connector. Its a small wire and this is the one you want. I removed the end cap for access, spliced in another small wire, soldered it and insulated it. I routed the other end to the vicinity of the cruise control mount, installed an appropriate lug and tied it down. Reassemble/mate the connector and secure via the bolt. Its either a 10 or 8mm hex. If you prefer you can work on the other side of the C-100 connector BUT the wire changes to a black/green wire exiting socket 31.
Check your clutch switch, then if nothing is wrong, using the above info on how to DISABLE it, you could work backwards to find that same location and see if there is a constant ground at that location...

and will sit at a stop without needing to have the clutch pressed. Help..i guess!

If you still have your car in gear then you do have a problem. If its in neutral your are fine. Like stated above it sounds like you should get the clutch inspected.

Back