• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel gauge reading backwards?!

EuroTour

Hard-core CEG'er
I've searched and found nothing. Does anyone have an idea how to stop my gauge from going to E with a low fuel light when I fill up to F when it's empty? :crazy:

at a guess I'd say the wires plugged into the back of the gauge are simply reversed. Or the plug on the sensor got put on backwards at some point.

For some reason, if I pull my gauge cluster, it will randomly do the exact thing you explained. To fix it, I pull both the multiplugs in the back and plug them back in. Always seems to fix it. Make sure the pins aren't loose.

my car started doing this when i switched from the se cluster to the svt cluster i just figured it was something to do with the switch.now i might go outside and take it out and try r&r the harness plugs. ill keep you updated

my car started doing this when i switched from the se cluster to the svt cluster i just figured it was something to do with the switch.now i might go outside and take it out and try r&r the harness plugs. ill keep you updated

what year is your car and what your SVT cluster did you install? if you have a early 98 you need the cluster from a E0, if you have a 98.5 or greater you need to find one from the same year SVT as your car ...

i have a early 98. would it fix it if i took the gas gauge out of the se cluster and just switched the face to the svt face to match? and i dont remeber what year my cluster is out of it has been almost 6 years since i switched them

I tried it already

I tried it already

I switched my actual guage motor on the back of my guage and it didnt work.
I have a 99 se and put a 98 svt cluster in it. Everything works except the gas guage reads backwards.:shrug:

My smart-a$# dad told me why didnt just change the E to an F and Vice a versa plus undo the low fuel light.:mad:

Man I just wanted to throttle him. So I guess I will be changing the letters. Everything else is plug and play.

Hold on does anyone have the circuit break down for the two connectors on the back of the cluster. You could always just switch the pins in the hardshell.:eek: I THINK.

Back