• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Q Horsepower vs Pennzoil Platinum

Dave98SVT

CEG'er
Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference in Q horsepower and pennzoil platinum? I just had my oil changed with pennzoil platinum because it was buy one get one free, but I noticed the promotion was also available on all quaker state oils. Is there any real difference between a pennzoil full synthetic and a quaker state full synthetic? Also how are the companies related? They also tried selling me a oil system cleaner are those really needed or just a typical add on?

That's a good question. Both Pennzoil and Quaker State are owned by Shell. It is thought that both oils are very similar but no one seems to really know for sure. Both are Group III base stock oils and I would bet that the additive packages are very similar, but again, no one seems to really know.

Either oil is a good choice. I have enough or each for one oil change with each. I have used Pennzoil Platinum and it worked fine. I have not used Quaker State Q yet, but it has good reports and good returns on oil change analysis.

Last edited:
Back