• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slam when shifting into reverse/ATX

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
Just like the title says, I can feel a "whoomp" when shifting into reverse, it feels like the transmission drops. When shifting into drive, it's still somewhat of a slam, but not as bad. Transmission mount needs replacing? If so, is there a how-to?

Just like the title says, I can feel a "whoomp" when shifting into reverse, it feels like the transmission drops. When shifting into drive, it's still somewhat of a slam, but not as bad. Transmission mount needs replacing? If so, is there a how-to?
I believe that there's a complete CD4E rebuild howto with pictures on the old forums.

Edit:

Rebuild pictures (pictures don't seem to be loading, but there's a lot of info in the thread):
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=531563

CD4E FAQ:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=655008

Last edited:
Hopefully I'm not at the stage where a full rebuild is in order. I don't have that many miles. I'm thinking the "whoomp" is from a worn-out mount and the transaxle is moving backwards when put in gear.

Hopefully I'm not at the stage where a full rebuild is in order. I don't have that many miles. I'm thinking the "whoomp" is from a worn-out mount and the transaxle is moving backwards when put in gear.

I remember reading about your other transaxle issue earlier this week and didn't realize that it was completely solved.

Yeah, it wasn't the transaxle. This thing has been going on, geez, probably as long as I've owned the car. I just noticed in my mom's Camry it doesn't budge when you shift gears.

Yeah, it wasn't the transaxle. This thing has been going on, geez, probably as long as I've owned the car. I just noticed in my mom's Camry it doesn't budge when you shift gears.

That's because the Japanese cars have transmission hamsters. Right before you shift into reverse, a red light goes on to warn them, and they lay down, out of the way of the gear change. After that, a green light goes on, and they turn the gears with a hand crank, in perfect unison with the engine hamsters, whose job we need not describe here.

More on target -- changing the mounts is easier than tranny work, so I think you're right to try to attack that first. They may be due, anyway. If that doesn't fix it, go from there, but if it does, you get out cheap.

Lol, that explains a lot!! I guess I'll give the tranny mount a try. I've never done one, only an engine mount. Hopefully the Haynes manual gives a decent how-to. Any suggestions from anyone that's done it?

Back