• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

paint job

nightcat

New CEG'er
any 1 know of any good shops around that wont kill me with a price. Trying to get my cougar repainted in black

well you came to the right spot .... what are your plans with the car? keeping it forever or just getting new paint so you can sell it or have it look nice for a few years until you sell it?

I ask as this should guide how much you are going to pay for paint.

The biggest point is you get what you pay for, body work and proper prep take time and its the largest cost of the process.

I had my car painted at Connecticut Custom Car in Enfield, CT. Total cost was about $4K. The whole process took three weeks and it included stripping some surfaces and preping and smoothing out every panel on the car. And every panel was touched and no one has any surface imperfections.

now I plan to keep my car forever and like to try to show it at car shows so I went the expensive route.

you could go with the top level Maaco paint job for about $1k but you get what you pay for. However if you can do all the prep work yourself the paint will come out well. Aks 2000Myst.

Also you could try some high speed polishing to rejuvenate the paint. Check out http://www.advancedautopolishing.com/ and see what he can do for you, also he can recommend some idea/information about painting the car

any 1 know of any good shops around that wont kill me with a price. Trying to get my cougar repainted in black

I see that you're fairly new to this forum and seeing as your posting this question in the NE section I'm guessing you live here in New England, but for a better chance of a good referral it would help to post where you are.

somewhere in CT that I know, if its who I think it is you meet him at Aircougars meet the other weekend

You can also try Gravel Automotive in waterbury CT. They quoted me two grand for repainting my car. I know a couple of other people like Chris and Tony have gone there to have some aftermarket stuff painted and mounted. They also fixed my car after I was involved in a hit and run. Just ask for Dave, and say David with the black SVT contour recommended you and I'm sure they'll give you a decent price.

You can also try Gravel Automotive in waterbury CT. They quoted me two grand for repainting my car. I know a couple of other people like Chris and Tony have gone there to have some aftermarket stuff painted and mounted. They also fixed my car after I was involved in a hit and run. Just ask for Dave, and say David with the black SVT contour recommended you and I'm sure they'll give you a decent price.

not to say the place isn't good but both tony and chris had issues with the items they had them paint.

On chris side skirts they didn't paint the top edge, it was like they set the side skirt down upside down on a table and painted them.

on tonys hood and mirko they must not have prepped the surface right as they had to paint them twice. it was something about the fiberglass absorbing the paint

now $2k might get you a fresh coat of paint but how much body work would they do?

also to guarentee that the paint will not fail the surface needs to be preped right and if that isn't done and you have a paint failure the paint warrenty might not cover the failure since the surface wasn't preped right

Like I said. They had aftermarket pieces painted. They did the bodywork on my car after an accident and I can attest that it was done right, minus a misunderstanding over a decal. I never heard about Chris's sideskirts, and Tony's mirko came out fine it was his hood they had issues with. I've actually seen Tony's mirko and it came out beautifully. Unless nightcat's car is completely fiberglass I don't think he'll have any problems with them painting his car. I know I haven't. I just feel bad I couldn't afford to have my whole car done :cry: :nonono: . If you have any second thoughts I would ask Tony and Chris maybe they know something I don't.

not trying to bash at all, just bring up the few things that I heard.

they definately got a good price and chris got his grill ring done and it was included in the price for having the skirts painted.

and your right, tony mirko did come out well, I haven't seen the hood yet but he told me about the issues there where.

Actually, nightcat is my friend Gary...he is from Worcester... he is also on www.newcougar.org
Gary has been trolling these boards for a while, but doesn't post very often here, as you can tell :)

Brian, I told him about your paint job, and how nice it came out... The price is a little steep for him at the moment...

he needs to go to michigan and get his car painted at the same place Alex got his truck painted!!!

we need shops like that around here.

he needs to go to michigan and get his car painted at the same place Alex got his truck painted!!!

we need shops like that around here.

man I forgot about that, what was it $2k for a complete color change to a custom color?

yeah right around there..
and they jambed it and did the engine compartment.
you wont find any deals like that around here unless your blowing the painter....

so thats how the mexican got the truck painted so cheap!!!

Back