• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

leaky head gasket? And/Or something else?

Thanks for that info Big Jim!

I checked the Hayes book. Replacing the PVC valve seems fairly easy and inexpensive. Is it? Or are there some tricky things to watch out for, like most repairs on these cars?

Thanks for that info Big Jim!

I checked the Hayes book. Replacing the PVC valve seems fairly easy and inexpensive. Is it? Or are there some tricky things to watch out for, like most repairs on these cars?

the PCV valve is easy to replace. the only thing to look out for is making sure you have it reinstalled snugly. some aftermarket pcv valves come with little plastic adapters that will allow the pcv valve to be connected properly. i would just go Motorcraft and not have to worry about the adapters.

i posted pic earlier and found out that it was power steering pump (pulley).

anyway here's a pic of my oil leak with exact same symptoms --

oil_leak.jpg

could it be just that the timing cover bolts behind the P/S pump are loose or timing cover gasket back there out?

that is what i'm assuming.

is it's oil and not PS fluid there is a seal there that seals the front cover to the engine. The front cover has 4 seals, 1 on the right side, 1 on the left side, 1 in the middle that forms a "V" around the PS pump and another seal around the crankshaft.

hmm, good to know I guess. When I started pulling my 98 SVT apart to do the head gaskets and other things, I noticed mine was leaking from the front as well. So I have to replace it, any suggestions on brands or where to buy one?

wow, and to think... that didn't even cross my mind. Thank you for that insightful post. :ponder:

Last edited:
Advance Auto also sells the Felpro brand. I have no experience using them though. Their UIM/LIM gaskets are fine.

wow, and to think... that didn't even cross my mind. Thank you for that insightful post. :ponder:
Hey, guaranteed to work on your car! I just think it's odd that people think aftermarket all the time which is how your post read, as if you never gave Ford a thought.

FWIW, Felpro are good gaskets as well. They make a "silicon" blue model that was all the rage for the 2.9L Ranger owners. Maybe you'll have good luck with them as well. They'll probably be more expensive than Ford though so be prepared. They were in the case of those 2.9L gaskets.
Karl

Last edited:
well, just because some people think that way doesn't mean all do.

I just recently placed a fairly large order from Ford. I just ordered all the upper gaskets and seals, PS return lines, PS pressure line, spark plugs, plug wires, bolts, PCV Valve, thermostat, water pump, etc. all OEM Ford.

Seeing as Big Jim said it was a somewhat common problem, one that he had fixed twice under warranty so I'm assuming they were all OEM Ford pumps, I figured I would ask and see if anyone else had used another brand that maybe didn't develop a leaking seal.

Last edited:
Well, unless anyone besides Ford is making brand spanking new PS pumps (which I don't know but doubt there is), it's still going to be a remanufactured Ford unit now isn't it? So all you can hope for is that whomever rebuilds it 3rd party will do a better job than Ford.
Karl

And you know for a fact that the one you would be buying from the dealer is brand new? They charge a core so I'd bet it's just a re-manufactured unit as well. So who's to say some company couldn't do a better job than Ford?

And you know for a fact that the one you would be buying from the dealer is brand new? They charge a core so I'd bet it's just a re-manufactured unit as well. So who's to say some company couldn't do a better job than Ford?
Generally most major parts on the shelf at the dealer are remans. The new stuff is at the assembly line going into new cars.

As far as remans, you'd be betting that a third party (probably in Elbonia) could do a better job than Ford could do on a product that they designed and manufactured. What are the odds? If you've read many posts here you'd already know that buying an alternator from anywhere but the dealer can be a gamble. Why would the gamble stop at alternators? That's all I'm saying. Brake pads and other little wear items, sure, get them at a parts store. The big stuff? Well, it's your time and money.
Karl

I get what you are saying but... ah, nevermind. This is just pointless bickering back and forth thats going nowhere. Just dont be so quick to give a smart*** reply to a legitimate question.

Have a good day :)

Mine looks exactly the same as yours and I was told its my valve cover gaskets, they have been like that for over a year, I am replacing them as soon as I can, but yes its annoying and all that oil under the car on the outside of the oil pan, I swore I was looking at my car from your pics.

Its also cause a vacuum leak cause my car isnt as powerfull as it felt before this problem started.

FWIW, Felpro are good gaskets as well. They make a "silicon" blue model that was all the rage for the 2.9L Ranger owners. Maybe you'll have good luck with them as well. They'll probably be more expensive than Ford though so be prepared. They were in the case of those 2.9L gaskets.
Karl

Seconded by this former T-Bird SC owner. They took the 3.8, which already ate headgaskets, supercharged it to 12 psi, then kinked the exhaust so it wouldn't outrun the Mustang. Needless to say, these engines blew their share of head gaskets. Conventional wisdom on the SCCOA boards was Felpro head gaskets and ARP head studs while changing the resonator to get rid of that restriction downstream.

Back