• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need to quiet down this exhaust...

rkneeshaw

CEG'er
I'm running Weapon R headers, BAT y-pipe w/ high-flow cat, and SVT cat-back with a Magnaflow resonator. Its too loud. Do you guys think a TruBendz resonated magnaflow cat-back would help quiet it down or make it even worse? Maybe I could try using the weapon R y-pipe instead of the BAT?

So you still have the stock SVT mufflers, a res., and a cat? I dont think you could make it much quieter without hurting performance (i.e. adding baffled mufflers, putting the stock manifolds back on, etc.).

If it drones, you could try a longer res. maybe :shrug:

So you still have the stock SVT mufflers, a res., and a cat?

stock SVT mufflers, but there's a magnaflow res in place of the stock resonator, and the high-flow cat that comes with the BAT y-pipe is installed.

I found the single exhaust item that added the most sound was the BAT y-pipe with high-flow cat. Is there a chance the Weapon R y-pipe with a different high-flow cat could be quieter?

I can deal. Its just that the Nissan 350z I drove over the weekend had such a nice mellow tone and I kind of liked it :cool:

I'm running Weapon R headers, BAT y-pipe w/ high-flow cat, and SVT cat-back with a Magnaflow resonator. Its too loud. Do you guys think a TruBendz resonated magnaflow cat-back would help quiet it down or make it even worse? Maybe I could try using the weapon R y-pipe instead of the BAT?

Thats not loud enough.. Stock 350Z sounds nice.. but too quiet..

Adding the trubendz kit will make your car louder.

stock SVT mufflers, but there's a magnaflow res in place of the stock resonator, and the high-flow cat that comes with the BAT y-pipe is installed.

I found the single exhaust item that added the most sound was the BAT y-pipe with high-flow cat. Is there a chance the Weapon R y-pipe with a different high-flow cat could be quieter?

Thats what I meant.

Youre ears must be sensitive (nice way of saying your a puss! LOL). Does a high flow cat add that much noise? I would expect it to be about the same. I reckon must of the noise you are noticing is coming from the thinner metal of the headers and lack of precats. Other than that, I bet you cant get much more toned down unless you plan on putting the stock manifolds back on.

But my question remains: is it drone you are complaining about or loudness while on the throttle? If its drone, a larger res. may cure your problems (loud at cruise). If its overall tone, like I said, there isnt much you can do without going backwards. Baffled mufflers may help, or a baffled res., but then you would be backwards modding.

I consider my exhaust setup to be fairly loud (MSDS, stock cat, magnaflow res and race series mufflers. All straight through). It is damn near silent while cruising (no drone) because I have a large enough res.

You may just have to deal with it!

Yup, sorry, its mostly drone. When the RPM's are like 2.5k -4k at constant throttle. People in the back seat complain a lot, and well, I can still hear them complain. at idle she sounds really cool

I have the same setup as you.
I put the stock resonator back on and took off my magnaflow and guess what?

it is soo quiet. man its nice to cruise in 5th now with no exhaust drooooone noise anymore. The exhaust is perfect. oh well i lose 2 hp, but the noise gone makes me enjoy the car more.

I have the same setup as you.
I put the stock resonator back on and took off my magnaflow and guess what?

it is soo quiet. man its nice to cruise in 5th now with no exhaust drooooone noise anymore. The exhaust is perfect. oh well i lose 2 hp, but the noise gone makes me enjoy the car more.

The first thing I did to my exhaust was msds headers and left the stock cat
and exhaust for a month and noise increase was minimal.After that that
I got a high flow cat with a 12" dynomax resonator and dynomax muffler
on 2.5" piping.It's a bit raspy and drones above 3k rpm but sounds nice
and not annoying.I would have tried the 18" resonator,it's a notch on the
raspy and loud side.Anyways yeah,the stock exhaust with headers should
sound like....stock

Last edited:
I would have tried the 18" resonator,it's a notch on the
raspy and loud side.

AFAIK, the longer the res. the quiter/less raspy the exhuast. So your statement about a shorter res. being less raspy/quiter than a res. 6" longer doesnt make sense. After all, the longer the res., the more sound absorbtion material it has and a larger surface area to absorb sound. Right:shrug:

I'm sure it's the headers with the resonator. Get a longer quieter res. and you should be ok. What that res. is I don't know. Preformance comes at the price of louder free flowing exhaust. Maybe Dynomat the trunk. Bet that would help a lot. Or get a Borla. That should be just right. Too bad they are rare and eleventy billion $$$. Maybe a 3rd muffler in place of the res.?

Last edited:
AFAIK, the longer the res. the quiter/less raspy the exhuast. So your statement about a shorter res. being less raspy/quiter than a res. 6" longer doesnt make sense. After all, the longer the res., the more sound absorbtion material it has and a larger surface area to absorb sound. Right:shrug:

I meant had I known the 12" I had now was on the raspy side I would
have tried the 18" to make it quieter.

Back