• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mustang

at this point I am lead to believe that I had a seal fail either between the pickup tube and the oil pump or between the oil pump and the block, but I have not been able to thoroughly test that hypothesis yet.

As tough as those motors are, you might be able to throw a seal back in it and roll on out (as you probably already knew). Sorry to hear that happened. I had to pull the oil pump on my brother's 67 Cougar 3 times because of oil pump problems. Good thing about the 67 is that the pan comes off without having to drop the k-member or pulling the motor. Good luck!

Got it runing again Sunday night, drove it for the first time this year on Monday. I have a few bugs to work out of it still: 1. Fuel gage does not read correctly 2. SN95 Tach reads ridiculously wrong 3. Wipers do not work this year despite working last year and all the wiring and switches remaining the same for them.

The oil problem turned out to be the plug on the top of the block that covers where the oil passages were machined. It tilted in the hole preventing more than a few pounds of pressure to build; it will never again be an issue ;) The gaskets around the oil pump were originally suspected of being the issue, because they showed what appeared to be signs of failure, so they may or may not have contributed to the original oil pressure loss.

The overall primary instigating factor was that I made a small wiring oversight when I rebuilt the MS harness this winter/spring and inadvertently caused one bank of injectors to stay on whenever the key was on. The excess gasoline that wound up in the oiling system wreaked havoc on various gaskets and seals, and it is my belief that this final episode was just the conclusion of the effects. At this point, everything that could have been effected has been repaired/replaced, so as long as I can keep my foot out of it until I am done tuning, the car should be good to go.

Last edited:
Any way that you could tell me what the backspacing is on those rims and how wide they are? 17x8?

I was thinking about fitting some on my 65' stang and I didn't want to buy them and not have fit. My current backspacing is 4.5" and I really couldn't go any further than that on the back.

Back