• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headlight Lenses Will Not Pass Inspection

harrup

CEG'er
My car will not pass inspection because the plastic headlight lens will not emit enough light. The LX is a 1995 so I guess the lenses are the original equipment.

Last year a carwash used some compounding stuff to clear it enough for inspection. Should I do that again this year or order replacement lenses. Is the orginial equipment better than the aftermarket ones you can buy? I understand they are about $60 each. Is it a difficult job to replace them?

What has been the experience of the forum members?

The replacement lenses are a LOT more than $60 each.

I buffed mine out and then sprayed them with clear laquer to keep them from discoloring again so quickly.

Steve

A little of my input from my 96GL.

I rear ended a truck with my 96, which broke the driver's side headlight (and the header panel, that was a PITA).

Got a new header panel complete with all the lights and grille.

The non-yellowed lenses produced x1000000000 better light output than what I had.

Not saying it's a good thing, but I did the Silverstar highs in the low spot mod and ended up with people flashing me every day. This was with the headlights aimed straight out.

I plan to try the Comet first & the wetsanding later. Will this affect the amount of light coming through if I don't use the clearcoat?

I plan to try the Comet first & the wetsanding later. Will this affect the amount of light coming through ....
It will not affect the light coming through until it starts to haze again (maybe in a month or so). So to do it without clearcoating to pass inspection is fine but if you want a more permanent fix, you probably need to clearcoat them before they haze up again.

Bill has the housings on sale for $220 complete. A lot more than the $60 mentioned. I've wet sanded and buffed mine a few times, you just never get them as nice as new housings.

Scott

There are aftermarket ones online (I found mine on Eeeeebaaaaay) that are a lot less than OEM. I haven't noticed any problems with quality, other than the adjusters seeming a little bit more cheaply built, but they've worked fine in my '97 for two years and don't look like they've clouded any. I run the stock lows that came with the assemblies, and Silverstars in the highs. You should see the difference when I click low to high. :)

Junkyard ftw!

There are alot of pre98s with decent headlights where I live. Find a junkyard and grab a pair. Just my $0.02

And if you failed because of Hazed headlights, yours must be really bad. Even half hazed headlights given decent light.

i got a pair of "eagle eyes" brand pre98 headlights for about 65 bucks shipped from rockauto.com!! The fitment isnt the best(didnt sit flush with the turn signal assemblies) but the light output is great compared to the faded oem ones that were on. Use the 10% off coupon code too.

The replacement lenses are a LOT more than $60 each.

I buffed mine out and then sprayed them with clear laquer to keep them from discoloring again so quickly.

Steve
60 per (Shipped) is more than doable on ebay. (if you can be a bit patient)

for inspection though, go to like autozone and pick up a wetsanding kit. makes a pretty big difference (probably more than enough to get you through inspection.) but its not that permanent if you don't clearcoat over it.

Junkyard ftw!

There are alot of pre98s with decent headlights where I live. Find a junkyard and grab a pair. Just my $0.02

And if you failed because of Hazed headlights, yours must be really bad. Even half hazed headlights given decent light.

My headlights were that bad, I couldn't see anything if there were no street lights... >_<

Try Permatex lense repair kit. It is about $10 and will buff the yellow colour out. You can usually find them from the auto repair stores or major chains like Target/K-Mart/Sears/CT.

wet sand...simple and it works

wet sand...simple and it works

Just wet sand and then follow up regular car polish.

My Merkur had badly yellowed and pitted lenses.

Started out attempting to just buff them with rubbing compound but that did not work to my satisfaction.

So, I started with 600 wet/dry, then proceeded to 1200 wet. I then buffed again, then polish.

They have been clear for 2 years now. Outdoors 24/7 but under a carcover when not driven.

Back