• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1995 contour failed etest emissions hc ppm

scavenger

New CEG'er
need help, i bought this car a month ago, in as is condition put 1800.00 in to get it certified, the first etest was hc ppm limit 64 reading 82 = fail
no ppm limit 0485 reading 790 = fail
it passed curb idle had a code 172 oxygen sensor mixture too weak,

i replaced the sensor, took the car back today it failed again
hc ppm limit 64 reading 90 =fail
no ppm limit 485 reading 289 = pass
the curb idle passed everything again
It didnt fail by much but no obd codes display any problems, what could all possibilities be, any body else out there fix the same problem? if if failed dramatically it would be easier to fix.
the motor is a 2.0 dohc.

also when ac is on while in drive theres some shaking, vibration, going on when at a stop.

First try a manifold clean with Berryman's b12 or Seafoam. There should be instructions in the vetec maintenance section. This should probably be posted there.

Did you try driving longer before trying the test? It isn't off by much.
yes i drove it for 2 hours before i brought it in, and it was put in 20 minutes after, as of now i have it all apart in my driveway, idle air control looks new, inside looks clean, all vaccume seems to be all intact, and operating, . exhaust manifold i off it now, looks pretty black in there, pcv valve inside looks very oily, it rattles fine but i can blow in each end and, air moves freely, i hope tomorrowwill be a better day for the contour

well i got it back together, replaced the pcv valve, new exhaust manifold gaskets, oil cooler gasket, still runs good but, i think all the gas is not burning, out of the combustion chamber, i noticed gas on the side of the plugs when i turned them out, it seems to be running warm, around the "A" mark on NORM-A-L, any other ideas? anybody.
what are all possibilities of gas not being totally burned, in combustion chamber, and being pushed out of the exhaust, to fail HC PPM. ive eliminated, air leak, o2 sensor, mass air flow, pcv, clogged passeges, in air lines, iat sensor, i need some more ideas because i hate money and i want to give it all away. thanks. any ideas i would be greatful
( PROBLEM SOLVED!!!) SEARCH GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING UNDER IDLE PROBLEMS FROM SCAVENGER

Last edited:
Might need to remove the throttle body, and clean out the passage on the back. I would replace the PCV and air filter/fresh oil and filter and an upper intake plenum clean with new gaskets.Check to see if you have any stored codes, light not "ON" but you could have some codes stored in memory. Then run it hard on the hiway to burn out any fuel in the exhaust manifold.

Back