• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I guess I need to learn to drive...

its hard to sense emotions online, i didn't think you weere being mean, as i wasn't... quit complaining about heat, as i watch ice road truckers, where its 40 below, i am so happy abut the heat here, LOL

My old SE did 15.1 with 150k miles and just a cat-back, SVT UIM and TB and an intake....original clutch and all season tires.

it's you...not the car most likely...

I agree that its probably not your car, not saying you are driving bad either though. I ran a 15.6 my first time at the track with a few good solid bolt-ons (178whp) and my 60' times were a little higher than his. Those times aren't too shabby in my book for the first time out. You'd be surprised how much time you can shave off your 1/4 just by launching harder with better 60' times but of course thats not the best idea with a stock diff, worn clutch, and junk tires either :rolleyes:

well, i had new lower control arms installed (i installed them) and the ball joints and lca bushing were gone, 3 of them moved pretty freely, t was scary to think I was driving on them. My tires aren't the best, and it is a stock clutch and diff, which I think in the next few months, I should be able to swing a clutch, flywheel and diff... so next time out should be a little better, also putting two different sets of tires on my old e0's which are lighter, and gonna tinker with different tire sizes!

I'll never take my CSVT to the track personally...Why? Because it's not a car you race IMO. "Unless" you have some serious mods, such as a 3.0L or Turbo, OR BOTH! Otherwise, I guess it's just cool to see if you can hit the low 15's, which is pretty weak for a 1/4 time worth talking about IMO once again...:laugh: But maybe i'm jealous that i can't afford insurance on a real ford... Mustang, FTW!

i went to the track cause ive been told its fun, which it was, and i wanted to be involved with it... not because I thought my car was a stellar drag racing machine!

Seat time, seat time, seat time. There's not substitute for experience.

I've had the Cougar out twice. In 2004, I ran 15.9, and in 2005 I pared it down to a 15.3. I think I could pretty easily hit 14.9's now, but I've net been able to get back to the track in AGES.

what rpm do most of you NA guys launch at?

I have never been to the track or actually recorded a 1/4 mile time but I have been playing around pretty hard and working on my launches since I have to pull the tranny and fix my 3rd gear synchro.

But from what I have found my best launches come from preloading the axles and launching from about 4700-5000 rpms. Since I know that I am putting a different clutch and completely rebuilding the tranny I am being very hard on it as I said and I normally slip the clutch as much as I can before the e-brake can no longer hold the car back within that rmp range. I once launched from 6000 rmps and I almost had fully disengaged the clutch prior to launch. The car was creeping on launch due to the e-brake not holding it back. But after that launch my clutch smelled horrible.

But like I said that's what I have found to be the best launches. I have almost no wheel spin at the 4700-5000rmp launch and a mild amount at the 6000rmp launch. This is in a basically stock SVT(MAF adapter, K&N filter, and custom cat-back exhaust) with Eibachs and 225 40 18's for tires.

Last edited:
E-brake? I think you're maikng this way too complicated.

I launch my 2.5 at about 3500 with a slipping clutch. Too many RPM's and I just spin WAY too much, or get wheel hop.

Perhaps if I had a limited-slip, I would launch closer to 5000.

More you go to the track, the better you get.

I cut a good time considering I had no LSD at the time of runs.

On my 3L, I basically rev to 4,500-5,000, and modulate the launch with the clutch as a power switch. It's all about traction- I used BFG DR's and have various items (PF-SL and filled mounts) to avoid wheel hop. It's really that simple- I cut a 2.07 60' like that and I wasn't pushing it all that hard, either.

It probably is "better," and better for the axles but they're not that expensive, I just dump it and forget about it :laugh:

Play around with it a couple times and give it a try. I thought that it seemed really complicated at first too, but I really like it and it really is fairly simple. I guarantee that your 60' and RT times will decrease.

My first time at the track I couldn't do better than a 15.9@88, that was with my 17" mondeos and wai. Went with headers, 15" steel winter rims with bald blizzaks and ran 15.2@92 and I wasnt even launching hard, no wheel spin. I think when I install my CAI extension and get an xcal2 with a nice hard launch 14.9 would be feasable. Practice makes perfect.

well, i did take the heat shield box off the night before i raced, adnlike i previously posted, it was at night, when extremely hot, heat index of almost 100

Back